Pisa, Italy

Baptistery Pisa Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Great acoustics Apr 22, 2011
The baptistery in Pisa is the largest that can be found in Italy, and like its famous neighbour the leaning tower, it seems to be slanting as well (though not as steeply as the tower). Constructed in the twelfth century, the baptistery was started in the Romanesque style before being embellished in a more gothic tone a century later. The interior features sculpture by the very talented Pisano. The upper levels can be reached via staircase and is worth doing, as it gives you some nice views of the surrounding buildings. Most importantly though, the acoustics of this building are incredible. It would be great to hear a choir in here. Even if you don’t have this opportunity, ask the guide when they will demonstrate the acoustics of the building (or just keep your ears open when a tour group comes in, as they should have it done for them!). Worth popping into for sure!

Related Travel Blogs About Baptistery

Campo Miracoli
That night we booked a room in Lucca´s youth hostel. But Lucca is quite close to Pisa, so we decided to go there before dawn. We were adviced that the only beautiful place in Pisa was Campo dei mir…Pisa was Campo dei miracoli. You know, the three espectacular buildings we all have seen in one place or another: Duomo, baptisteri
Still trying to find the Inn keeper to pay him.  Italians can be hard to find sometimes and he has no scheduled hours.  A bit cloudy today L.  We spent the day in Pisa looking at the t…Pisa looking at the tower, cathedral, baptistery, and 2 museums.  The museums were not that great, but the church…
The baptistery was up next on the cards. I sat around a little, practising my pigeon Spanish a little and snacking away. A huge group of tourists went in and I was in no mood to see the umbrella-head… The baptistery was up next on the cards. I sat around a little, practising my pigeon Spanish a little and…

Check Pisa Hotel Deals