Ban's Diving Resort

Check Koh Tao Hotel Deals

Ban's Diving Resort Koh Tao Reviews

gaspard7733 gaspard7…
Great Diving - Great Hotel - Amazing place. Apr 27, 2011
Bans Diving Resort is one of this few places in the world where "big" resort doesn't sound bad.

You will find a lot of small diving school on the island. But who want to dive from a "long tail" full of people, gear up in the water and not see some amazing dive site like "Chumpon pinnacle" and "southwest" because the boat just can't go there.

Bans have two massive diving boat. And trust me, it's much better to be 30 on a huge boat than 10 on a small one. It give you all the space you need to gear up, have a proper briefing and even work on your Tan after the dive...

Coffee, Tea, water and pineapple... they have everything you need (also some cookies but... not sure you will like those)

Many instructor, any language you might need. Best equipment. They're top class on diving.

On the hotel side : lot of rooms, two pools, one pool bar... you can get a huge discount on the room if you do a course. Really nice garden, amazing view for the higher room. Nothing bad to say about that.

Too perfect ? Ok here some critics : Service a the restaurant is really not friendly and can be really slow. Food a little bit overpriced but good. (Lot of "Farang" food from falafel to buger).

Some room need fresh air as they smell dust...

That's all. For the rest it's perfect. Go there enjoy diving, enjoy the island and like hundred of people you might decide to stay a little bit longer.. weeks, month... why not doing your divemaster, your instructor and get even longer holidays...

ps : Just so you know, I used to worked at Bans but that doesn't change the fact that this is a honest review. I have been all around the world and this is still the number 1 place in my heart...
PeterRoberta2011 PeterRob…
Sep 06, 2011
Resort is brilliant. We really appreciated the upgrade to a Deluxe Room which included a DVD player! As a dive resort it's perfect. Great equipment, instructors and facilities
jacquelynvictoria jacquely…
Underwater world Aug 22, 2011
I went here to get my Dive certification. Hotel room was ok, they have suits if you have that budget. The staff is friendly and perfect location.The happy hour is amazing, especially with the beautiful sunset:) Pretty cheap for getting certified with beautiful crystal blue waters!!!
pjmc04 pjmc04
Affordable luxury by the beach Apr 13, 2011
Excellent quality hotel, in an ideal location near the beach especially if you are going to do any diving. The restaurant and bar connected to the resort is probably the best in the area and is very good value.
coryahls coryahls
Great if you want to dive!! Mar 09, 2011
Good if your diving but otherwise too expensive. You get massive discounts if your taking a diving course. Great instructors, and friendly staff.
livelovelaugh87 livelove…
Jul 11, 2010
I had the most amazing experience here. The first surprise was the stunning rooms they put you up in, at no extra cost, when you sign up for a dive course. The whole grounds are beautiful from the Hibiscus flowers to the two pools (one for dive instruction and another just for fun).

The dive instructors are very professional and fun at the same time, always making you feel at ease. While some people call it the "dive factory" since they turn out more newly certified divers than nearly anywhere else in Asia, this resort and dive shop is definitely worth it. One of the big advantages of this being such a well known resort is that they keep all of their equipment in top shape. They are 100% for your safety, which is a huge comfort.

Aside from the diving, there is a beautiful and delicious beach fron cafe, complete with a bar and dance floor for parties at night.

If you're looking for a great time and a great deal you can feel good about, Ban's is the place to go!
Roey77 Roey77
Ban's Diving Resort - Diving and Accommodation Oct 02, 2010
When we arrived off the ferry at Koh Tao it was mayhem. Touts screaming for taxi services and to stay at their hotels. We ended up pushing through the scrum and because we were getting harrassed by every local we saw, we ended up walking towards where we thought Sairee Beach would be. We couldn't be bothered haggling with anyone and with 15kg backpacks we ended up walking all the way to Sairee Beach. It took about 20 minutes with no maps and no idea.

We ended up staying at AC Resort mainly because it looked good from the outside and they provided the cheapest dive/accommodation. We stayed in Hut #11 and it was very dark, basic, the power would go out for hours and we had to endure wafts of sewerage smells on a regular basis.Unless you are doing a dive course with them, they are ridiculously overpriced.

I went down to see Ban's Diving Resort to see what price I could get for dive/accommodation.

I was quoted 10000 THB for the 4 day dive course and could get one of their 3000THB Deluxe Garden view rooms for 1000THB per night for 4 nights.

I would rate these rooms 4/5 stars by western standards. There was an in-room safe, a fridge, cable tv, balcony, aircon, free water everyday and the room was wonderfully decorated and serviced everyday. The only gripe I had was that the hot water was actually lukewarm but I tend to like hotter showers than most.

Diving with Ban's is supposed to be like a sausage factory. Chew em up and spit them out due to the fact that it produces the most PADI certificates in the world... overtaking Cairns, AUS.

There was 6 of us in my dive group and we had a fantastic instructor Magnus from Sweden. Our assistant instructor was Mike from the USA. The classroom was modern and had aircon and Magnus provided a very well structured course and had a great calming effect as I was/and still am, a very nervous diver.

After completing the Open Water certification we didn't want to pay 3000THB per night as we needed beer and diving money. We moved to the Pool View Room which we paid 1000THB per night. The room was very basic and the furniture a little worn, but it had a in-room safe, balcony and a tv that struggled with reception. The bathroom was abit crusty and would rate this 2/5 stars western standards.

The bar/restaurant(The Fishbowl)at Ban's is acceptable but nothing to rave about. The layout is pokey and dark but they do put bean bags and tables out on the sand in the evening with a volleyball game to keep you amused.

We drank and ate most nights at the AC Resorts restaurant as the food was delicious, well priced and the deck overlooking the ocean was very relaxing and provided amazing sunset views. Also the free wireless was a big drawcard.

Ban's and AC Resort are only 80 metres apart separated by a couple of convenience stores, hair salon, tour, internet and clothing shops. There is also an ATM and a money exchange.

The walk to the other main part of Sairee Beach takes about 10 minutes and is a has heaps more shops, bars and restaurants. This is where the Lotus Bar is situated which goes off every night. We went for a look one night and quickly left as the drunk-20-somethings were a bit too rowdy for us.

Although I did my certification with Ban's, my partner did his through Phoenix Divers and we ended up diving with them for the rest of our stay as it had a more homely feel with smaller numbers going through and divers who tended to stick around for weeks or more rather than 4 days. Drinks every night with students and instructors was nice and a great place to meet fellow travelers.

Phoenix Divers is affiliated with AC Resort. I didn't recommend the accommodation at AC Resort as I am a 'flashpacker'. Most backpackers we met were happy with the standard but I most definitely recommend Phoenix Divers for fun dives and learning.

All dive shops on Koh Tao visit the same places and most dives are within 10-15 min boat ride from the resorts. Longest trip is to Chumpon Pinnacle or South West which is about 40 minutes. These are where you may be lucky enough to see Whale sharks.

Between AC & Ban's there are two banana pancake carts. The best banana pancake show goes to 'Mudgee' who is the young indian guy closest to AC. The show is worth the 30THB.

FYI, once you get past the ferry terminal and main street of Mae Haad,there are no hawkers or people harrassing you to buy this or buy that.

Beware..... we came to Koh Tao for 5 days and ended up staying 2 and a half weeks.
Sunset from AC
Magnus - Ban's instructor
First and Second Dive at Mango Bay
Looking from Ban's towards AC Reso…

Ban's Diving Resort Amenities

• Beach (Direct Access)
  • Diving Centre
  • Ticket Service
  • Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower
  • Pool Outdoor
  • Family Room

Related Travel Blogs About Ban's Diving Resort

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…Koh Tao) and headed out back towards the mainland. We reached the wreck which was marked with a danger buoy. We rolled off into the water and found there…

Check Koh Tao Hotel Deals