Bangaan Rice Terraces

Banaue, Philippines

Bangaan Rice Terraces Banaue Reviews

eudaemonia eudaemon…
Quaint and charming rice terraces of Bangaan Apr 20, 2014
It’s so easy to fall in love with the Bangaan Rice Terraces. It’s not as grand as the Batad Rice Terraces but its just as beautiful and has that charming vibe that one can feel instantly. If I were to compare, Batad is masculine whereas Bangaan is feminine. A beautiful and charming lady through and through.

I just visited Batad the day prior and was so suprised at the lack of activity here. Batad was just too noisy and bustling for me. In Bangaan it was very quiet, I was the only tourist around. The restaurant and inn were empty except me! I got more than 50% discount on accommodation. Lucky!

The road to Bangaan is a bit bumpy since it's not concrete but more like compact dirt and gravel. You can take a jeep from Banaue proper. The trip lasted less for less than an hour. It's about 3 or 4 kilometers from the Batad junction since I was able to walk from Bangaan to the junction in 30 minutes. I recommend taking a bit of a detour before or after going to Batad.

The locals are a shy bunch. I got some teasing calls from the children and the older people just sort of stared. I didn't mind as I'm not quite sociable myself. I asked directions from the inn's landlord and was pointed a hundred meters away. I just followed the sign.

Descending the stairs was like travelling back in time. The concrete stairs and pathway sort of takes away that illusion but it's fine since it was late afternoon and I'm not too keen in slipping and breaking a bone or something. The village was very small and quaint at the middle of the terraces which seem to be the norm with terraces. The descent was a breeze, it sloped gradually. It would allow you to enjoy the scene in a leisurely manner and admire the rice fields up close and personal. It was late April when I was there so the terraces are a verdant green.

Look for Virginia Hangdaan if you want to know more about the place. She knows a lot of customs, history and folklore. If it wasn't quite late in the afternoon I would've stayed and chatted more. She let me try on the native tolge worn by native women.

I had to leave early in the morning since there are only two trips passing by Bangaan, 9 am and 3 pm. Unfortunately for me, the jeep was quite full and the driver won't allow me to ride at the roof which is quite normal even for girls. I walked for about an hour before I was able to hitch a ride.

Overall it was a great experience. The best of Filipino hospitality, the most scenic view you could ask for and the remoteness gave you a sense of truly being alone.
UNESCO World Heritage Sign
Getting up close and personal
I really didn't wanna leave.
Carpeted in green.
Jacqinmiddenamerika says:
Congrats on your featured review!! Way to go!! :-)
Posted on: Jul 30, 2015
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Jul 28, 2015
FK27 says:
What a beautiful landscape!
Posted on: Jul 23, 2015