Banff National Park of Canada

loripori loripori
BANFF NATIONAL PARK OF CANADA Feb 22, 2017
June - 2003

THE BREATHTAKING BEAUTY OF BANFF

Located 130 km (81 miles) west of Calgary, BANFF NATIONAL PARK occupies 6,641 square kilometres(4150 sq. miles) of mountain wilderness. The park is home to some of the most spectacular scenery in all of Canada. Sights such as Castle Mountains, Peyto Lake, Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, are world-famous and the region offers thousands of panoramas that will take your breath away.

ENCHANTING LAKE LOUISE

Lake Louise - Banff National Park

Hans and I were a bit disappointed that LAKE LOUISE still had some ice on it. It was a lovely day and the sun was melting the ice quite rapidly.

Lake Louise is the most famous glacial lake in the Canadian Rockies and one of the most beautiful in the Western Hemisphere. LAKE LOUISE was named for Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, daughter of Queen Victoria.

Address: North of Banff on Highway 93

MORAINE LAKE - Banff National Park

This gem of the Rockies reflects the Wenkchemna Peaks in its blue water . "Wenchmna" is the Stoney Indian word for "ten", thus the spot is popularly known as "The Valley of the Ten Peaks"

A mass of rocky rubble and boulders dam the lower north end of the lake. Some believe that the rock pile is a glacial moraine left behind by a retreating glacier, hence the name of the lake-- MORAINE LAKE.

BOW SUMMIT

It is Saturday June 7. We are heading south on Highway 93 on the Icefields Parkway. Hans pulled in to the parking area for BOW SUMMIT. (Elevation 2088 metres/6849 feet). We had to walk up a very steep path to get to the look-out. As you can see, there was still snow on the ground. As I am huffing and puffing on my way up, I'm saying to myself "This better be worth it!" Well it was sooooo worth it.

Address: BOW SUMMIT is along Highway 93, North of Banff

PEYTO LAKE LOOKOUT

What we saw was an amazing panoramic view of PEYTO LAKE. Hans and I just stood there in awe. "Oh, my God, that is simply beautiful" The lake derives its brilliant blue hue from silt deposited by glacial melt that reflects in the sun.

Address: Highway 93 North of Banff

Keep in mind that my pictures are from 2003 - long before digital was even invented, so thay might appear a little grainy.
Lori and Hansi = Peyto Lake Lookout
Lake Louise
Moraine Lake
Bow Summit
Besandri Besandri
Calgary playground Sep 11, 2014
Banff Nation Park is a must to include on your destination if traveling to Canada.

But I guess I should add only if you enjoy the outdoors and nature, but who doesn't ?

I am sure it can get busy and too many people but that is only in the township, you don't have to travel far out of the town to get to one of the many walks in the area.

This is a return trip for me and I first time I visited Banff was about 5 years ago when we were mainly fishing in Montana as It is only about 4 hours to the USA border from Banff.

So it is a place to go out of your way to visit, you won't be disappointed.

This time we will have a bit more time and we will also include a trip to Jasper and explore Lake Louise area.

Most people from Calgary come here often for their holidays and I can't blame them as I don't really think much of Calgary (sorry for those that live there).

Banff is part of the Rockies and this whole area is very scenic but be warned it can get cold.

As much as I like the snow I like the warmth of the sun even more :)

As I write this blog it is Sept so still in summer, yet it snowed yesterday. But the trade off to the snow is what we experienced today, sunshine and fantastic views of the snow clad mountains. So hard to describe... I will let my photos part explain ...

But anyone visiting Banff or Jasper at the weekend without hotel reservations be warned ... Everything is fully booked and according to one receptionist has been like that for the last 6 months.

With so much scenery you don't really need to do anything extra... The hotel accommodation is very expensive and so is most other things around here.

A return trip up the gonadal is $40, just a little more that I would pay.

I think the a Queenstown gondola was reasonably priced at $25.

Anyone with a family gets a group discount, but it is still an expensive ride.

The hot pool nearby was only $6 per adult I think so with tomorrow being 60% chance of rain, sitting in the hot pool may be a good idea. The weather for the rest of the week is supposed to be perfect, I just hope the snow stays around so that my pictures can look just that little bit better.
Banff Beauty
Banff
spocklogic says:
Ze Burglar Of Banff-f-f-f-f-f
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured! Banff is spectacular!
yuness says:
Congratz Brian on your featured review :)

Check Banff Hotel Deals