Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art

www.balticmill.com - 0191 478 1810

Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art Newcastle upon Tyne Reviews

Paulovic Paulovic
Contemporary Art Jan 15, 2011
It's not especially the art whatfor I visited this building. Although the art looks nice, in some rooms are very big paintings or other big pieces of arts to see.

But if you go to the upper floor, you will have a nice view over the city of Newcastle. You can take the elevator to every floor. The elevators are made from glass what will give you the view already from out there.

On the upper floor is a restaurant located. Here you can go outside on a balcony by good weather. Unfortunately the weather wasn't very good, so it was closed for visitors.

There is no entrance fee, so go in for free!
Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art.
View over Newcastle from Baltic Ce…
davidx davidx
Great Gateshead gallery Nov 15, 2011
I had heard plenty about 'The Baltic' but what could I have told you before last Saturday? (12 November 2011?) 1.That it was in Gateshead (in spite of the fact that this site gave me the choice of writing about the Baltic Centre in Newcastle-upon Tyne, offered in tree different ways or of locating a new place. I found this sad. For ages Gateshead had been seen as the poor sister on the South Bank of the Tyne. Then when it has acquired three stunning places, it would seem that somebody has rejected its claim and given the Baltic to Newcastle! Have no doubt though - the Baltic is on the south side of the Tyne in GATESHEAD.

2. That it is an art gallery with no permanent exhibitions but with great facilities for temporary exhibitions.

I spent last weekend with friends at Chester-le-Street, On Saturday they took me to see the Baltic, the Sage (to be reviewed later,) and the Tyne bridges, including the Millennium Bridge, followed by the tourist bus trip round Gateshead and Newcastle.

The Baltic was formerly a grain warehouse and nearly £50 million was spent transforming it into a world class gallery for contemporary art. This yea it has been the first non-Tate institution outside London to stage the exhibits for the famous Turner Prize. Even this exhibition was free. I suppose you might expect me to enthuse about the exhibition but I can't mount that degree of dishonesty. I struggle with modern art quite often (except for architecture and sculpture. However this is not a case of a generation gap. I can admit to being an old gimmer but there was no age at which I would have been more enthusiastic about this. The Turner Prize has always sparked controversy and, in the view of its admirers, I have always been a Philistine.

However I don't end on a bad note. The Baltic is now a wonderful centre and some of the less prestigious exhibits gave me far more pleasure - even though no far greater understanding. As a building for viewing the art works to their greatest effect it is superb and for me the viewing area on the next to top floor over the Tyne and its fantastic bridges more than justifies its 5 stars.
Africancrab says: