Balkan Hotel Garni

Balkan Hotel Garni Rates and Deals

Balkan Hotel Garni Belgrade Reviews

trippinginnederland tripping…
Not the Best & Not too Bad (to a certain extend). Jan 06, 2012
Visited Serbia for the second time (3rd - 6th December 2011) after 6 months from our first (it was in June 2011).

We just love this country because of the people. They're really friendly and willing to help. It is the people that made the country look nice even though the place doesn't look at all great.

Our previous stay was in Hotel Zira. I liked it very much but not my guy (he wasn't pleased with the restaurant service and the buffet food for breakfast & dinner). Thus, this time...we had stayed in a hotel slightly further away from the city centre (at least from Hotel Zira, we could still walk) and it was very much cheaper. Anyway, transportation cost in Serbia is considerably cheap so we didn't mind staying on the outskirt of the city centre.

From the airport, you will have to take bus 72 and stop at Zeleny Venac. There you will have to take bus 53 whereby it is situated outside the market. Where to stop? You should stop outside a McDonald's whereby it is next to a supermarket, Maxi. I believe that supermarket stays open for 24-hour (except one certain day whereby all the branches would be closed to do their stock taking, proper tagging and clean up, I wouldn't mind). There is also a newspaper stand just outside Maxi whereby you can purchase your ticket for bus/tram rides.

The hotel is located just across the road. PLEASE do not expect a hotel-like building. In fact, when I first saw that building, my jaw wanted to drop to the floor. It looked like a really old-grey small shopping building (I refuse to use the word 'centre') with residential. Well, bear in mind when you enter the place you have to climb about three flights of stairs. There is NO elevator to the hotel which is situated on the 3rd floor. There, you'll see the sign with 3 stars (I think they deserve 2). A small counter where the front desk staff is. Behind her, you'll notice this wooden shelving slots whereby they put passports and what such there (not safe).

At least there is an elevator within the hotel. One time, we took the stairs down to the lobby from the floor which we were staying. Just above the lobby was the office of the hotel! Opened...NO DOOR! Not safe at all being opened (an open concept) but hey, none of my business.

My guy booked the rooms (1 single room, 108 Euro + 1 double room, 132 Euro) for 240 Euro and he then came to a realisation that he was charged an ADDITIONAL PRICE of 8,40 Euro. Where did that come from? It was a big hooha between him and the front desk staff and of course behind the scene manager. They kept insisting it is the currency rate and that most likely it was his bank that charged extra. Also, that they wouldn't want to cheat their customers and et cetera. We understood but we just needed to know why was there an extra charge. I'll leave that explanation to Napsju.

The rooms are really big and really well-furnished BUT I wasn't happy about the bathroom. The bathroom had this shower whereby it includes a jacuzzi-spa feeling with music in there! Seriously, I don't mind having it but it isn't necessary to have it. It was rather squeezy in there, not very clean as I could see mould on the sliding door hinges. One side of the speakers didn't work (that is fine with me, I don't need the music). Oh, if you're short, you have to lift your leg high up to get into the shower. The shower holder was broken thus, you couldn't put it up. What is really AWFUL and disturbing is that the water wouldn't go down when you shower! It just accumulated! It will go down only when you are done with your showering. Just wait for it to go down. Thus, you'll have to come out with really wet feet thus, the floor mat is going to be wet. If you're tall, good luck as I hope you're not claustrophobic or get a neck pain. Bathroom is rather spacious. It would have been better if they just built a normal shower area, that would have been the best. I don't need an entertainment shower-spa-music installed which is also not clean. By the way, water leaks out from the bottom of it too thus, the floor gets wet also.

I knew they had their trolley nearby with all the clean towels and clean floormats so I took about three to place on the floor of the bathroom. It gets really cold to step on the floor and wet too. They had the SOS button above the shower, if I were to break my back; I don't think I'll be able to reach for that.

The bed was fine but the pillow was really flat. Thank you for the neck pains which I didn't need. Why don't the hotel learn how to line the bin in the room? Everytime, I had to put a plastic bag in the bin for my rubbish. I tried to be considerate to line it with a plastic bag as we weren't feeling at our best. We had a cold so you definitely do not like mucous in the bin if you were the chambermaid or the next person to stay in the room.

Nice with thick curtains to block off the daylight but what is the point of having them when you have windows above the bed with NO curtains. Light still comes in and it was still bright. It defeats the purpose of those thick curtains when other windows were curtainless.

Breakfast included, NICE! We went down to check it out and it was basically pathetic and old. They didn't look fresh, bascially the hams were staying there for hours, sliced cheese, small pralines which looked dry and mini sausages and sunny-side up eggs in the tray over the bain-marie. I ate some but was hoping to survive through the day. I did but the following days, I didn't bother about breakfast there. It is best that they didn't include it in or just improve it. We had better buns and such outside at a good price.

In the back of my mind, I kept thinking that this hotel is for those one-night-stands because the night we had checked in, a Serbian couple had checked in for the night with no luggage :) Moreover, my guy had noticed some scratch marks (done by a lady with painted red nails) on the toilet system. *Doesn't want to imagine further*

PROS:

- Cheap

- Nice furnished bedroom and BIG

- Near to McDonald's

- Next to a Pizzeria restaurant that stinks of smokers

- Near to a 24-hour supermarket

- Near to bus/tram stops

- Reachable to the center of the city

CONS:

- Security level is low (but Serbia is rather a safe country)

- Dirty 'fancy' shower-spa with redundant 'gadgets' in there

- Basically the bathroom was a BIG problem for me; a downside

- Two windows above the bed with no curtains/blinds to block out the sunlight

- Breakfast 'buffet' was really pathetic, best not to include it

- Climb flights of stairs with your luggage up to the hotel (but in the hotel there's the elevator)

- WiFi isn't at its best. Bad reception in the room, my guy had to sit near to the main door to get a good connection.

I would love to visit Serbia again but I'll probably find another place to stay. Definitely not this place. There's seriously is nothing terrible about this hotel even though I seemed to be rather hush on it. It is fine for the basic needs for those who doesn't mind. For short stays it is fine. It is just me, I'm just very picky in every detail of staying in a hotel. I just love it when it is cheap and good. This is just fine and I can't place it at good. Sorry.
The concrete front of the hotel.
monky says:
Congrats on this featured review!
Posted on: Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for sharing!
Posted on: Jan 06, 2012
travelnparty travelnp…
Clean, Modern Hotel in Belgrade Oct 13, 2010
A modern hotel in Belgrade for a decent price. Friendly reception, clean, quiet rooms, and excellent food in the restaurant. The rooftop restaurant is a good place to view the city at night.

You'll need to take the bus to get to the center of Old Belgrade (10 minutes), but the comfort of the hotel makes the daily trek worthwhile in my opinion. Being located in New Belgrade also offers a different perspective on the city as it's quite a contrast from the other side of the river.
view from the room

Balkan Hotel Garni Overview

The Balkan Hotel Garni is located near the Belgrade Fair in Banovo Brdo. It is situated in Serbia's main commercial area. Guests are within easy reach of a variety of shops, restaurants, cafes and cinemas. Guests of the Balkan Hotel Garni have access to free airport transfer service 24 hours a day.

All of the 24 guest rooms at the Balkan Hotel Garni are equipped with an LCD television. Wireless Internet access is provided. Rooms are air conditioned. A safe, telephone and hair dryer are included.

This four star hotel features a meeting hall equipped with state of the art technology that is suitable for all types of conferences, business meetings and seminars. Catering is available for meetings. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available. Currency exchange services are available. Guests can work out in the fitness club on site and there is a café and a restaurant for dining and drinking. There is a dry cleaner's, eye clinic, dental clinic and insurance company located at the Balkan Hotel Garni.

Balkan Hotel Garni Amenities

• Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes