Baleen

260 Portofino Way , Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Baleen Redondo Beach Reviews

Eric Eric
OK, but not great... Nov 11, 2009
This is a new, trendy, and "upscale" restaurant in Redondo Beach, near the pier. There aren't many "great" restaurants in Redondo Beach, so we were excited to try this out. Unfortunately, it didn't really meet our expectations.

I had the farmer's market greens, which was just a simple salad with nothing really unusual or remarkable about it, and the Pan Roasted Halibut with red wine risotto for my entree. The halibut was OK, but nothing really remarkable, unique, or interesting about the taste. I felt that I could have just as easily made the dish at home.

For a restaurant that bills itself as "upscale" and "nice", the atmosphere was surprisingly casual and informal. The service was poor, and we felt rushed while placing our order, even though there was hardly anyone else at the restaurant. To make things even more confusing, our table was approached by 3 different waitresses within the first few minutes after we arrived, almost like each one was competing to serve our table. It took a few minutes for them to figure out who was actually supposed to be serving us. There were two or three tables with crying babies, and an odd smell emanating from the corner of the restaurant where we were seated.

I would recommend Brix in Hermosa or Christine in Torrance instead, if you are looking for nicer dining and better food in the South Bay.

Check Redondo Beach Hotel Deals