Balcary Bay Hotel

01556 640217

Balcary Bay Hotel Auchencairn Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Balcary Bay Apr 11, 2010
I only ate lunch here, so I am reviewing it as a restaurant rather than a hotel.

The Balcary Bay hotel is in a stunning bay on the South West corner of Scotland. The building is beautiful, and the architecture is pretty much typical of the region.

Dinner is reasonably priced, and the food is nicely cooked. The batter on my fish and chips was light and crunchy, and the fishcakes were also great. Everyone I was with – and there were about 14 of us – enjoyed the food, although to be honest, some of the portion sizes were huge and some tiny and it’s worth asking how big the portion will be.

So why am I awarding it so few stars?

The service was absolutely, actively, resentful. The woman acted like she was doing us the biggest favour imaginable letting us eat in her bar, and like we were an unforgivable inconvenience. I know we were quite a big group, but any nice pub in southern Scotland gets groups of walkers coming in on Sundays. We had phoned ahead to warn them we were coming, and were told that we would only be served if we got there at 12 noon, which we did. I understand that big groups mess with the kitchens, but really, it’s not like we didn’t ask. And when we walked out of the bar area at the end, the restaurant was mostly empty.

Basically, it’s not that I’m saying don’t go – the food was excellent. But if there is somewhere equally nice where the staff know how to smile, go there.

Check Auchencairn Hotel Deals