Balanced Rock, Mexican Hat, Utah

Mexican Hat, Mexican Hat, UT, USA
Balanced Rock, Mexican Hat, Utah - I added myself to this shot to make it look like I placed the rock on top. Optical illusion. :)

Balanced Rock, Mexican Hat, Utah Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 11, 2006
Just south of the Town of Mexican Hat, Utah is a rock formation that gave the town its name. This is in an area just north of the “Valley of the Gods” or Navajo National Monument. A rock balanced atop a large sandstone outcropping that some people feel looks like the brim of a hat.

It is difficult to tell how large that top section is or just how far up the formation stands. My guess is that overall I must be at least 75 feet high and the top section is about 20 feet long at the longest point.

Although you can see it from the road to see it well you must take a dirt road off of the main highway about a half mile. When you get close you wonder if some big crane didn’t just drop it in place but that’s highly unlikely considering that large cranes were not around when this was discovered.

It is an interesting site.

I just had to do a shot of how I placed the rock up there ;)
I added myself to this shot to mak…
Africancrab says:
Nice photos Roger. I like the once where you added yourself, lol! I hope you are feeling stronger each day.
Posted on: Sep 20, 2011
mvorih says:
I lived in Mexican Hat when I was in grade school. I guess it was a really long time ago because there were 2 rocks balancing in those days.
Posted on: Sep 19, 2011
viajeroh says:
Hi Roger!! I could be there in Mex hat in 2006... and also driving and walking around "Valley of the Gods"... I love that nature in your country!!!
Greetings from Spain! Alf.
Posted on: Nov 05, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Balanced Rock, Mexican Hat, Utah

Balancing Rock
Mexican Hat, Utah derived its name from the strange rock balance a couple of miles outside of town.  About a half mile off the highway on a dirt road you can drive near and around this strange f…Mexican Hat, Utah derived its name from the strange rock balance a couple of miles outside of town…

Check Mexican Hat Hotel Deals