Sarawak, Malaysia

Bako National Park Sarawak Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Trip to the home of the Proboscis Monkey and Bearded Pigs Feb 04, 2015
We booked a tour to Bako National Park from the tour agency located in our hotel (Pullmans Hotel). It costs RM220 or RM240 per person (incl. of transport & entrance fee).

We bought a Poncho and our own drinks.

Our guide, Nizam picked us at the lobby at 8 am. The journey to the jetty took 1 to 2 hours at least.

At the jetty, I saw this unmistakable sign warning us off crocodiles in the river/ lake. Well the water looks pretty muddy so yeah for sure there are crocodiles. We put on our safety jackets and sat on this long boat. Nizam said if we are lucky we should come across some crocodiles. My reply was we are better off unlucky as I don’t wish to have to have an encounter with them. Then suddenly he told the boat driver to slow down as he could spot a crocodile by the lake. The boat came closer to the shore and I was like WHY??? My husband and the Korean girl started to snap pictures. The crocodile remained on the shore. Good!

Then the boat resumed the journey. We are now at sea. We are seated at the first seats on the boat, I could not see anything in my horizon. It was like a trip to the end of the World ala Pirates of the Carribean. I promised myself no more of these kind of boat rides since i am not a very good swimmer. Finally after 45 min, I see land! The boat stopped as we approached shore and we had to walk in the water to make it to shore. Boy I was glad to be on land! There were big rock formations. Very nice indeed.

Then it started to rain really quick and really heavy. There was not even time to put on a poncho and by the time I reached the Meeting Point I was completely drenched! So we came all the way here to see the famous Proboscis Monkey and Beared Pig. We had to wait a while before we could start walking as the rain was so heavy. Finally we walked into the forest. There were guided paths in the beginning but soon we were walking in mud and clinging into tree branches for support to climb up or down the path. Very muddy and slippery due to the rain. Along the way we see lots of forest monkeys - the mischevious ones which i dont like. We came across a snake resting under some bushes. Then we had our first view of a Proboscis Monkey sitting high up on the tree. Very comical face. Ok so the trouble I went through was not in vain. As we continued our trail, we came to a beach at another side of the island. Then it started to rain, again. So we ran back to the nearest shelter. Of course we had to go through the same route to return to the meeting point! Aarrghh. We arrive at the meeting point to buy lunch (local rice and dishes). It was still raining. Then Nizam came to us and said that another Proboscis monkey is nearby so we ran to see. This was the closest view I got.

Finally after the rain stopped, it was time to go. He asked if we wanted to explore more and I said nooo. So too bad for my husband as he would love to see the Bearded Pig. According to the staff at the meeting point, 2 bearded pig had appeared in the morning to look for food. Oh well…theres plenty of those naughty forest monkeys loitering near the shelter and always so quick to snatch your food or bags so do take care of your belongings.
FoxyFauz says:
thank you everyone on your congrats!
Posted on: Feb 18, 2015
Ils1976 says:
congrats on your feature, well deserved as always! :D
Posted on: Feb 05, 2015
vulindlela says:
Posted on: Feb 05, 2015
Vipin Vipin
Breathtaking, essential visit Apr 21, 2010
Bako National Park was opened up in 1957 and serves as the largest national park in Sarawak. Covering nearly 30 square kilometres, the park exhibit’s the best elements of Borneo and offers visitors the chance to experience a unique array of greenery and wildlife. The park is very accessible by bus from Kuching.

While you are in Kuching, you can make accommodation reservations from the local tourist office there. The park is accessible as a day trip from Kuching if you’re pushed for time, but I recommend that you stay at least fore one night here. The day trippers scarper off around 3 or 4pm, and there is much to see during sunset and the evening.

The park also has a café, which offers fairly reasonably priced food and drink for all your main meals of the day and a great hub . They are always fending off macaques who try and steal the food from diners and the canteen area. Very entertaining if not slightly annoying for some visitors, but at least you get to experience dinner and a show!

The park oversees several hiking trails, ranging for all sorts of hours and expertise levels. It’s very possible to spend a few days here, and just try out the various trails according to your appetite and fitness. As the trails sometimes follow similar lines with each other, you can easily tag onto a different trail if you like (and if it’s shorter). Just make sure you pack sufficient water and snacks for the day, as well as first aid stuff (just in case) and stuff to cope with the humidity (for example, you will sweat so much in certain humid areas, experience lots of heat in exposed areas and encounter rain too. I experienced all of these on each day’s trekking so it pays to be prepared!). The park sells a brief map of the trails (for 1-2 dollars) and the trails are well-marked throughout the park. If you opt for one of the longer trails, they do ask that you write your name down on the register.

Although I saw an amazing array of plants and wildlife (for example, pitcher plants, majestically overgrown trees, large insects, beautiful butterflies, squirrels and all sorts of sounds), the real highlight was the rare and endangered proboscis monkeys. Seeing these is bound to be the highlight of your trip here.

I could go on and on about this place, but if I had to sum this place up, I would say that the park was a real highlight during my time in Sarawak and Malaysia overall. Never has nature seemed more breathtakingly profound and beautiful. I definitely would go back on many more occasions and highly recommend it to anyone.
Vipin says:
thanks Bhushan! For sure, you should visit it when you get the chance. Nature at its best!
Posted on: Feb 15, 2013
bhush2006 says:
Nice review. Its my dream destination. So after my recent trip to Philippines, I should target this after about 1 year :-)
Posted on: Feb 14, 2013
Vipin says:
glad to hear it Kris! plus, you live fairly close to it, so it's way easier for you to hop over!!
Posted on: Aug 26, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Bako National Park

Reisschema en hotels
  Mijn reisschema 13-08-2009 Amsterdam - Kuala Lumpur 14-08-2009 Kuala Lumpur, vlucht naar Kuching 15-08-2009 Kuching - Bako nationaal park 16-08-2009 Bako NP 17-08-2009…Sarawak Maleisie 0060-82415588 0060-82425316 dag 3 en 4: Bako Park Chalet Bako National Park Sarawak Maleisie 0060-82248088 0060-82248087 dag 6: Anna…
Bako National Park
Had one of the most strenuous days of our lives today - did a bit of hiking in Bako National Park!  We have never huffed, puffed and sweated so much as we did today.  Not only are the climb… Had one of the most strenuous days of our lives today - did a bit of hiking in Bako National Park
Bako National Park
Waking up early in the morning I already heard the rain falling on the roof. But this day we planned a tour to Baku National Park, so I was curious if we even can get there, because you have to take … Waking up early in the morning I already heard the rain falling on the roof. But this day we planned…
Sarawak Map