Baithak

Baber Mahal Revisited, Kathmandu, Nepal

Baithak Kathmandu Reviews

DAO DAO
Historic Fun Feb 05, 2017
This is my favourite restaurant in Kathmandu. A ‘Baithak’ is a royal suite or state room and this restaurant is an authentic banqueting hall. When you first enter you will think you have stepped back in time. The staff are dressed like royal servants and musicians. I was shown to my chair at a long table and the drink man showed up almost instantly. When I say ‘drink ma’, this happy and crazy guy kept aiming a large brass pitcher and a stream of Raksi at a tiny little thimble like cup. He ended up pouring quite a bit on the table, but seemed really happy in his work! The hall is ornate and has authentic oil paintings of the rich, powerful and royal from more than a century ago. There are carvings, statues and beautiful tapestries make you feel like a royal guest. The staff are lively, friendly and always present. At the end of the long hall is the small stage where the dancers and musicians put on traditional dances in colourful costumes. They even encourage diners to join them in the dancing.

They offer 2 large set-menus, the Deluxe and the Royal. Both offer more than a dozen food items. The many dishes they serve are known as ‘Rana cuisine’. This was created by Nepali chefs of the Brahmin caste for the Royal families of the country. And if you like anything, just ask them to bring you a little more. Nothing is a problem here. I then realised there was actually 2 kamikaze drink guys. I ordered a beer, but the Raksi came all night long. I had real difficulty walking back to my hotel after diner.

This is a fantastic, fun, and musical delight. I loved it and kept smiling the whole time I was here. The food is good and with so many dishes, you will find your own favourites. Service fantastic as the staff can see all the diners easily. Just a small wave of a hand and whatever you need is delivered with speed.

PLEASE NOTE – Trip Advisor Reviews. For some reason several members of Trip Advisor seem to have an issue with this fun place and accused them of being Tourist oriented! That is why I enjoyed it so much. This is an awesome Tourist experience. And no – the Trip Advisor reviewers who have given it bad reviews were not native Nepalese. Locals actually rate it highly. Please don’t miss out. Read my review and take my advice.

Check Kathmandu Hotel Deals