Patio Bellavista, Santiago, Chile

Backstage Santiago Reviews

sweettangerine sweettan…
Looks are deceiving Jul 25, 2011
Backstage is a very trendy looking bar annex restaurant on the "Patio Bellavista" in the Bellavista quarter of Santiago. You could say it is the Chilean equivalent of the Hard Rock Café.

The pace looks hip and modern, with a nice loungy terrace outside and a contemporary dining area inside. Downstairs, there's also a trendy club.

So no complaints about the looks; service and food is another story.

We came in as a group of 22 persons, which was too hard for the waiter to handle. Already ordering the drinks went very wrong. Apart from the long time it took to get the order taken, certain people were forgotten while others got something they did not order in the first place.

The menu card is vary varied though, with lots of dishes to please everyone, but quite a few of these meals were for some vague reason unavailable.

It took also an awful long time for the food to arrive, but that could be explained to us being a large group. So I give them credit for that.

I had ordered steak (after all, I'm in Chile) but was disappointed with what I got on my plate. There was a big chunk of grilled beef, with a small side dish of a very thin and greasy fried mess thatallegedlyy ought to be French fries. The meat in itself was not bad tasting and even tender but the food was cold! Not very tasty...

Not only the food was cold, the entire place was freezing cold. Even though I was wearing a fleece jumper, I had to put on my coat as well. I was not the only one. Also non foreign diners were sitting in nearby boots with their coats on.

I wasn't the only one complaining about the food either. The people who had ordered empañadas were forced to order something else, as something had gone wrong with them in the kitchen and they were spoilt. They never even got to taste them, the waiter just told they were spoilt and they needed to order something else (?!?)

Later at night, there was live entertainment from a Brazilian jazz singer, but the music was on the load side for just background music while eating.

So no, I was not impressed. Perhaps if you go with a smaller party on a warmer day, it would turn out a pleasant experience, but alas, not for me.
steak and fries???