Backpackers Paradise

Check Oudtshoorn Hotel Deals

Backpackers Paradise Oudtshoorn Reviews

Stigen Stigen
Good price, hard beds Feb 27, 2012
This place was quite some distance from the centre of the town, so was quite happy to have the GPS this time.

The compound feels quite safe as it is enclosed with a coded gate and fence. .

The people at reception seemed quite nice.

I think it is silly to charge for using the Wi fi, but it is something that I have seen in several places that we stayed in South Africa.

I am trying my best to be objective when I write about the subjectively horrible night I spent there.

I stayed in an 8 person dorm, and strangely enough all the other people were sleeping when we arrived at 22.45 .... and the fan was not on..

The room was incredibly stuffy, you could cut the air with a knife. I turned on the fan, but then it stopped working after 10 minutes. A dorm without a working fan in this heat is a bit like hell. Specially when there is a guy snoring painfully loud all night, and the matresses are rock hard.

I didn't sleep a minute that night, quite a bad experience.

The communal area was good. there was a little clean pool , and a barbeque/beer garden. Inside there was television and computers for checking mail and stuff. We had the ostrich barbeque which was splendid.

The breakfast was ok, but nothing special.
The Sofa and tv area
having breakfast
outdoor pool area
living room
sarahbergs sarahber…
Fun in the Karoo Nov 11, 2010
Great great great! Would go back in the blink of an eye... easy location within walking distance of funky art gallery, cool bars and a great Club, Lemon' Lime! Also offer lots of activities, as well as ostrich braai for dinner and a ostrich egg in the kitchen so you can make your own omelettes in the morning which is neat!! We did the 30 km cycle from the Cango Cave, rode ostriches, camels, and all sorts..and played pool that evening at the backpackers.. it was a great vibe. wonderful staff! wonderful location... our stay was definately too short!! For activities i would definately recommend: the cycle, ostrich farm, Cango Caves adventure tour and Karusa winery on your way back for some yummy local wine!
our bikes loaded up for the 30 km …
the view outside Oudtshoorn
adventure tour at the cango caves …
wine from Karusa winery