Backpackers Ceara

Check Fortaleza Hotel Deals

Backpackers Ceara Fortaleza Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Backpacking my way... Jul 03, 2011
Backpacker silhouette on the small door makes sure that you do not miss otherwise not marked hostel. That first door hides small room with another door… and both of the doors are opened with key pad and password … Well, it is unusual, but it looks safe (I could break this rustic wooden with one foot kick) and there is also bunch of cameras covering most of the entrance and passage areas of the hostel. It looks to me like they think that having a camera covers all issues of the hostel so that they do not need to have receptionist… Not having a receptionist brings other issues, such as: who is opening the door to new people without the key code, who is responsible for things in hostel, who to talk to when some help needed… There are few guys time to time that are kind of working in hostel, but usually there is no one hanging around, especially during the night. I stayed there solely because it was the cheapest place I could find and it cost me 16 reales per day.

Hostel is located very close to clubs and party area , city center, Dragao do Mar art center and Praia de Iracema. Lots of busses pass near the hostel and it is pretty easy to move around. Hostel has a board where you can get info about some information about the area, places to visit, buses to take and general knowledge about the city. Hostel has well equipped kitchen and you are free to use any time of the day or night. Right across the street there are few small food shops where you can find basics stuff, but for well equipped shop you will have to walk 7-8 blocks. Food is expensive in Brazil and if you are coming from other South American countries, you will feel pinch in your budget (I found food to be 2-3 times more expensive and transport 3-4 times more than in surrounding countries).

As far as I understood, whole hostel is dorm, but rooms range from double bed to three beds to no more than six beds per room. To get to the second floor, you’ll have to overcome winding unsecure stairs that look very dangerous while you are walking with your backpack. Going down this stairs is super dangerous when there is some sand on them, or if there is no light during the night… I almost slipped down few times, and actually had a friend helping coming down with my bag

My room had three beds, that were pretty clean and good, and nice metal lockers. Doors and windows do not lock, and most of the day they are fully open for everyone to go in. I did not have any problem with that, but everyone passing by your room can see inside. Bathrooms are nice and clean, divided so that man use one on the bottom floor and women on the second floor. I had huge issue with motion sensor in the men’s bathroom, which is the only way to turn on the light, because light goes off after couple minutes… Trying to do my business in the restroom during the night was super challenging, and required few door openings, standing up, and waiving naked in the dark room… anyway I find it stupid.

Praia do Futuro is only beach in town worth enjoying the sea, but it is not really on the safe side after certain time of the day. Most of the people from the town come there to enjoy chilling in “barracas”, restaurants on the beach, and the beach is clean, bit away from the port area and waste water of Fortaleza that other beaches get…

I did not really like this place, and I suggest to look around for Posadas that are not listed on hostel internet searches. I saw few decent places from 18-20 reales in vicinity of Mercado Central.
Stairs for second floor
key code needed for doors
Front Door