Bacardi Factory

Road 165, Catano, PR, USA

Bacardi Factory Catano Reviews

Jessie21 Jessie21
Bacardi Factory Feb 02, 2013
This was Definitely worth checking out! The tour also included two complimentary cocktail drinks and their store had pretty good prices on their bottles of rum! =) unfortunately, the tour isn't very long but it is still pretty interesting. We stayed for the two drinks after and ended up buying too many bottles of their new flavors of rum lol but luckily they came in handy since we still had six days left on our trip. was a neat experience.
allnightermark allnight…
it's free! Dec 19, 2010
My last trip to Puerto Rico I found myself rained in for a couple days in Old San Juan. I flipped though my guidebook for a little wisdom and found out that the Bacardi Factory offers free tours daily, so I decided to check it out. I took a short ferry to Catano, and from there a public bus took me strait to the Bacardi Factory($3 total) When I got there they gave me 2 free drink tickets to use while I waited on the next tour guide. A free tour and free booze...I liked the place already!! I sat at the bar and enjoyed my 2 drinks (plus 1 more:) and the tour guide arrived. He took us inside and explained that we weren't allowed to use any cameras, as they don't want to give up any of their secrets. As the tour continued I realized that they don't actually give away any secrets...they just kinda fill you in on the history of their product. You don't go inside the factory where the rum is made at all! This was a bit of a bummer to me because I really wanted to see the process. But hey, I got free drinks and now I know the full history of Bacardi Rum, so I guess it's not a total waste!
Bacardi Factory, Puerto Rico
Bacardi Rum
Chris Columbus...what an a@#hole!
you get a free tour+free drinks!!
yadilitta yadilitta
La Catedral del Ron (The Rum's Cathedral) : Bacardi Feb 06, 2009
First of all, if you are expecting a cultural visit to a distillery, you wouldn't find what you are looking for. Casa Bacardi (Bacardi house) will give you information about the history of this famous brand, how it moved from Cuba to Puerto Rico and of course the rum's process, but of course they won't discover their secret.

Ok, now here it is what you find:

You can visit the Casa Bacardi everyday, just remember the last tour leaves at 4:15pm on Mo-Sat and at 3:45pm on Sun. Important: it's FREE. Francisco told us that some tourists agents charge for it. If they do it, they should just charge for the transportation. The Bacardi house offer free entrance, free guides (Spanish & English) and 2 drinks.

Once you enter you have to get a ticket for the next tour and wait to be called. Waiting is not boring at all, since the bar area is a great open space. You will enjoy the nice views of the factory. It's located in the Caribbean so nice palms, a blue sky and nice view of the bay is what you get. Furthermore, they give you 2 free drinks. Of course they have to have rum in it. So, I won't recommend it for children.

Tour starts in the main building where they have 3 different areas. The first looks like an old Cuban Colonial house, recreating the 1st Bacardi factory. A guide will explain you how the rum became famous and how this brand was born. The 2nd area is about how the distillery works. So bad, you can visit the real one, but at least you get an idea. Pictures are not allowed here. And the 3rd area looks like an old and fancy Cuban bar, where a barman will teach you how to fix the traditional rum cocktails: mojito, Cuba Libre and Daiquiri.

Then you will drive with a trolley down the factory, seeing the buildings and listening a bit more about Bacardi history in Puerto Rico. I didn't know Puerto Rico produces 85% of Bacardi worldwide, mmm. At the end the gift shop, where you can buy a Barcardi edition only sold here.

Personally I liked this visit. It was cultural and also tasty :P
Great blog!!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2011
grevensher grevensh…
Bacardi Tour Mar 26, 2008
The Factory is located in a kind of out of the way section of San Juan, in the Catano area past Guaynabo, but it is worth it to go visit. The tour takes about 30 minutes to go through, and the best part about the experience is that the experience is free, as well as a couple of drinks you are given before the tour starts. After the tour you can buy Bacardi for cheap, as well as purchase the 12 year aged reserve which is exclusively sold at the gift shop.
antigonewanders antigone…
Dec 21, 2007
Do NOT visit Bacardi. My family and I went to Bacardi because we thought that we were going to get a plant tour. Instead we were taken to a Bacardi museum where we were subjected to every type of Bacardi advertisement imaginable. By the end of the tour, I was well-versed in the product line, and I had developed a hatred for the television commercials. In my opinion, the images of semi-nude models pouring alcohol all over each others' bodies touted sex and orgiastic behavior more than beverages.

(NOTE: Don't follow my cost meter because I don't remember the price.)
Stevie_Wes says:
Ah, I have no qualms hearing Bacardi getting slammed. Drank faaaaaaaaaaar too much of it as a feckless teenager and for years owned a bottle of it that was practically bigger than me! I can't even smell the stuff without my stomach turning these days... and the coporatising would probably turn my soul in the same way!
Posted on: Feb 17, 2009
karmapolisa karmapol…
Bacardi Factory Jul 15, 2006
I really liked the Bacardi Factory tour. I thought it was interesting to see how it was made. Taste testing wasnt so bad either.

Compare San Juan Hotel Rates (3.1km away)

Bacardi Factory Map