3766 Fifth Ave., San Diego, CA, USA
Babycakes - Babycakes
Babycakes - Blood Orange Cupcake
Babycakes - basic chocolate and vanilla
Babycakes - cakes
Babycakes - and some more cupcakes
Babycakes - cupcakes
Babycakes - they look better with a cup of coffee

Babycakes San Diego Reviews

missingdata05 missingd…
A sweet spot for a weary traveler May 15, 2011
Babycakes: A sweet spot for a weary traveler.

Babycakes is a dessert shop located in the Hillcrest neighborhood of San Diego, California. Babycakes is within walking distance of Balboa Park (which is a must do park if you visit San Diego) and is easily accessible via public transportation. Cupcakes are their claim to fame; their cupcake fillings are something to explore. Thus far I have tried the Tres Leches, Black Bottom and Blood Orange cupcakes. They also have cakes. The red velvet is a personal favorite.

Babycakes is also a wine bar with two outdoor patios. This venue is an excellent choice for a first date or a resting place for the weary traveler. The staff is quite nice and attentive. Babycakes offers a relaxing environment and easy-going atmosphere, so dress as you wish.

Babycakes also serves food. Their website provides you with their menu and a link to a You Tube video, which gives you a glimpse of what the place looks like. I think their menu is reasonably priced and appropriate for a traveler on a budget.

If you feel guilt after ingesting more than your share of cupcake(s) you can walk it off in Hillcrest –it is a nice a neighborhood with a number of eclectic shops

Some of the concerns are seating availability. There are a couple of nice couches, but those usually get taken quickly. Usually seating is better during daytime rather than evening. Their wine bar lighting is poor, which can be a good thing depending on how you look at it. There are also some tricky stairs that lead to the cupcake ordering counter.

Overall, a must see for a traveler visiting San Diego.
Blood Orange Cupcake
basic chocolate and vanilla
montecarlostar says:
Sounds like a place to try!
Posted on: May 15, 2011
kkasuncion kkasunci…
Delectable little "babies" Feb 19, 2008
I have been to my fair share of dessert places here in San Diego, but never have I been to a cupcaker-y! I've driven by Babycakes many a times, but it wasn't until recently that I decided to actually go in and see what they had to offer. My friends, I was impressed. The atmosphere is great. The place used to be a home one-story home and has since been renovated there are four places to sit, each with comfortable seating: the outside area at the entrance, by the payment counter, on the other side of the payment counter near where there is a bar, and on the back patio. I sat in the area by the bar. All of them were nicely furnished with comfortable couches and chairs.

The man who helped me was just delightful, he was charming, witty, and funny. He was joking with all of the customers, helped me with my cupcake selection. Now, at Babycakes, they do not kid around with cupcakes. They are larger than normal cupcakes but not Costco sized by any means. I was torn between the Mango/Guava and the Chocolate Raspberry: was persuaded, however, to get the Black Bottom. When I said they do not kid around, I mean it. This cupcake was beautiful: a chocolate cupcake, with a cream cheese filling, chocolate chips, and raspberry sauce in side it, topped with cream cheese frosting that was just perfect. It was served warm and on a plate decorated just for me! You can also get your desserts to go.

Babycakes has 17 varieties of cupcakes (one costs just $3), as well as an assortment of cheesecakes, tarts, gourmet cookies, and other baked goods. They also serve coffee, tea, italian sodas, beer, and wine. I highly recommend this place, it's less expensive than most of the places I've been to AND there's free wi-fi, not to mention it's just delicious!

Check San Diego Hotel Deals