Babel Siem Reap Guesthouse

Check Siem Reap Hotel Deals

Babel Siem Reap Guesthouse Reviews

aaronic aaronic
Babel Siem Reap Guesthouse - We were bugged, literally. Dec 13, 2009
After a 12-hour journey by bus from Ho Chi Minh, we arrived at Siem Reap at around 7pm, completely knackered. From the bus station, we chose a zealous tuktuk driver ("Call me Ban, James Ban..." he wittingly quipped) to take us to Wat Bo road, where Babel Siem Reap Guesthouse is located. When we arrived there, Ban couldn't help but comment about our choice of stay, saying Babel isn’t the friendliest place around. I said we will find out for ourselves.

We booked a three-bed ensuite. It was at the second level of the four-storey guesthouse. The room was huge and the bathroom, although old-looking, was spacious and worked perfectly well. The tub was great for scrubbing the 12-hour old dirt from the trip. There was a small television where, interestingly, an old Filipino soap opera was airing.

Still too tired, we opted to have dinner at the hotel. The front yard, with its colorful couches and pillows, looked inviting. I had Lo Lac, which I was told is a Cambodian specialty, for $3. It has beef with tomato sauce and bits, cucumber and lettuce. I would later have one again at a market food stall, but only for a dollar. I thought the latter tasted better. For my drink, I had a milk tea, basic and nothing special.

In the front yard also is a hut that serves as the hotel’s bar. A lone computer with free internet was sitting out-of-place close to the bar too. The marble floors of the lobby were kept clean and shiny – every guest would have to take off their shoes. Books on travel and other interests are available for browsing.

We called it an early night as we were headed for some Angkor Wat sunrise next day at 4am. But if we thought waking up early was going to be a problem, boy, were we mistaken.

At around midnight, I woke up to see my two girl friends looking shaken-up and scratching themselves frantically. I rolled over to see that one of the owners, the Italian one, was there too. And then came the announcement that we were under attack by bugs - a whole platoon of fat, bloody, tick-like soldier bugs. The poor girls, as it turned out, took most of the bites and were red from both the bites and fury. We demanded to be moved to a different room, but the manager said it couldn’t be done that night as the hotel was fully booked. One friend slept on the floor and used the towel as mat, the other slept sitting down, and I decided to wait out the time and not sleep anymore.

After our temple tour, we were moved to another three-bed ensuite, this time at the ground level close to the lobby. What’s sad was that we never got any real apology. The manager never made at least one tiny gesture to try and make us feel better about what happened.

Oh, that’s not right. We got something – an insect spray. I know the girls would have sprayed it on the manager if they didn’t know any better.
Beds - nice looking aren't they? L…
Guesthouse lobby
aaronic says:
Probably because I didn't get bug bites that I'm this forgiving :)
Posted on: Mar 28, 2011
kevinhongkong says:
I am surprised you gave this place a 3 star rating - and beds a 2 star rating. You are too nice maybe. :P
Posted on: Mar 27, 2011
CinnamonCookie Cinnamon…
Good atmosphere May 10, 2009
I've never slept in this place, but I've visited this guesthouse for my research, and I can definetely say that the atmosphere here is very good. One of the owners is a nice, funny Italian guy who seems to have a very good relationship with the staff here. The staff is also very nice and friendly compared to some other places I've been in Siem Reap.

The guesthouse is located in a popular guesthouses alley, just off Wat Bo road. It's a good location, not very far from the old-market area.

Also they've got a very nice chill-out in the garden with couches and hammocks. Very good for an afternoon chill I would reckon.

Check Siem Reap Hotel Deals