Baan Chang Elephant Park

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Baan Chang Elephant Park Chiang Mai Reviews

rga82 rga82
affordable elephant park that is good for the elephants May 02, 2012
This elephant park is great!

It did not do any shows or tricks with the elephants, the elephants are not painted, the park just tries to protect the elephants and save them from any abuses. There is only limited riding on the back of the elephant, but it is a really great experience!

We were picked up from and brought back to the hotel and everything was included in the price.
dogggud dogggud
Amazing experience May 12, 2011
We had been traveling in Thailand for about 3 weeks when we came to Chang Mai. We had stopped for 1 or 2 nights at all the places we had stopped before but as soon as we saw how much you can do and experience in Chang Mai we knew we had to stop for a longer time than that there. Before I went to Thailand I had watched a documentary about elephant abuse in Thailand so I started to read up on the subject so I would know what to look for when I would get there. One of the few things that I had planned for the trip was that I really needed to get in touch with a real elephant experience, so when we got to Chang Mai I saw the first opportunity to have that experience and not one of those tourist things where the elephants are not in such good hands (to say the least). We had seen a few times elephants walking around the streets and begging and also where they work all day having tourists ride then half an hour at a time. At the travel agency they told me about Baanchang Elephant Park and it was exactly what I was looking for. It is about hour drive away (and of course they pick you up at your hotel) and the whole thing is very beautiful, amazing landscape. When we got there they started by teaching us about the elephants, what they are like, how they are treated, how one and each is different from one another and basically all you need to know and they can teach you in such short time. They show you everything you need to know about being around the elephants. After all that you get to ride the elephants bareback and in the end you get to take them in water and bathe them, saying thanks for the amazing day you just had with them. The bathing was the best part of the whole thing. You get an outfit to wear there so your own won't be all in elephant snot and dirty. :)

We where in a group of people there from all around the world but they all left after but we stayed for the night there. That is something I REALLY recommend doing. It was amazing. They took very good care of you, and the sleeping arrangement is very good, this really nice Bungalow with an amazing view. They treated us like royalty, we got amazing food, amazing pineapple that would melt in your mouth and later that night they made a little fire and cooked us sticky rice in bamboo that was the best sticky rice I had all that trip (I still dream about having them sometime again). We sat with some of the guys who work there, by the fire and drank beer, sang and talked and they let us light thai lanterns and let them go in the air and make a wish. It was truly one of the most amazing nights I had in Thailand.

And of course there is nothing like waking up in the morning and hearing the elephants in "your backyard".

I recommend this for everyone, to get to know these amazing creatures and getting to share a whole day with them is truly a money well spent.
silverwings90 silverwi…
Amazing! Well treated elephants! Apr 13, 2011
Amazing park! They look after all of the elephants. I'd recommend every time! They pick you up in the morning from your hostel and drop you off at night!
taicheng taicheng
Right choice to stay overnight in the park. Dec 09, 2010
Before I came I read lots of news about such great animals - elephants. This is my 1st time in my life to have such close contact with them. I love feeding and bathing with them after trekking. They are so relax and enjoy while we brushed their bodies.

As I stayed overnight in the elephants park I have more chance to talked with the owner and mahouts at night. This is a family owned property to give better life for all elephants here as our guide said. The owner is a young man who was a tour guide and worked in different elephants before. Now he own a tour company and give major finance to the park. There are 13 elephants in this park with 2 babies. Their future plan are to adopt more working and begging elephants, buy more land next to the park and build a cover place for elephants to hide during rainly days. It is a long way to go and I hope they can give better life for all elephants. I will be back....
Snack for elephants.
Mother and child.
There are 13 elephants and many ch…
Smile for food.
elam elam
Baan Chang Elephant Park - Riding on Elephant Nov 12, 2009
I think is one of our best choices in Thailand. Of course it wasn't the hospital for elephants which was recommended by Lonely Planet guide, but I think it was the second best we could choose.

The hospitality was in-expectable. The price affordable (2400 BHT for a day with pick up from and to the hostel, diner, water, ride lesson, feeding elephants, bathing elephants, riding on elephant in the jungle).

The mahout (elephant trainer) told us everything about elephants teaching and explained us all commends we can use during elephant ride. We practised them before we go to the jungle.

The small elephants were for one person. The big for two. We have to switch the places during journey to see how it is seating at the elephant's head or at his crest.

COMMENDS I'VE LEARNED:

SWUNG = PICK UP YOUR LEG

OTHER OPTIONS:

5900 BHT 2 DAYS MIN 2 Persons

8900 BHT 3 DAYS MIN 2 persons

The cost is caused by huge elephant upkeep which is around 30 000 $ per year.

Page:

Important Information:

The location of our park was chosen to provide a natural habitat. We are also AGAINST the practice of elephant painting and the training of elephants to dance and to sit or stand on two legs. We consider these practices unnatural and abusive. Our goal is to teach visitors about the importance elephant preservation and proper eating, sleeping, bathing, and exercising methods.

The newest trick in Bangkok is to bring newly arrived tourists instead of to therequested Tourism Authority of Thailand

(TAT) to a travel agency. This agencyposes as TAT but in fact is going to sell you overpriced tours.

For your information, at TAT Office you cannot book tours.

Check Chiang Mai Hotel Deals