BOSCO iL CHIANTI

Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno (1F), Ueno, Japan
03-3831-3993
BOSCO iL CHIANTI - Pizza marghertia dimare (pizza margherita with sea urchin roe) - one of the best pizzas I've tasted!
BOSCO iL CHIANTI - i like their artistic place mats
BOSCO iL CHIANTI - a part of their menu

BOSCO iL CHIANTI Ueno Reviews

coffeefairy coffeefa…
Affordable delicious Italian food in Tokyo Feb 12, 2011
If you happen to be around the Ueno train station in Tokyo, this is one Italian restaurant you should try out.

BOSCO iL CHIANTI is a little Italian restaurant at the ground floor of Mitsui Garden Hotel in Ueno.

My husband and I got to know about this restaurant because we were staying in this hotel. As it is on the ground floor of the hotel, it is accessible along the sidestreet and from within the hotel's elevator lobby and since it is kind of a "shortcut" going into the hotel, we often use this restaurant as a passage.

We noticed that this restaurant actually has a nice, charming ambiance although it is quite small. But I guess its size is one factor that makes it charming and so my husband and I decided to try it out yesterday night. However, we learned that this is a place you can't just walk in as it is always full. You have to have prior reservation.

So finally, this afternoon, we made a reservation for a table for 7pm dinner (tip: make sure you specify non-smoking or smoking area). We were given their big (literally) menu which was written in Italian for the food names and then Japanese for the details. I don't think they have an English menu as I noticed that the customers were mostly locals. I think that explains why the staff there were not really English speaking and so our overall experience here were quite driven from lost translations (you'll know why later).

If you're familiar with the Italian food, I think you'll be fine. We ordered for aglio olio pasta and pizza margherita dimare. There were two types of pizza margherita, though, and we asked the waiter what's the difference. He said one is with meat, the other one is with fish. We chose the one with fish.

While waiting for your order, the waiter placed a little basket of bread on our table with some dips and he said something in English but which the only familiar word we understood was "charge". So we thought maybe he said the bread was free of charge? In the end we found out that he probably said that the bread was charged by person because in our bill we were charged with addition JPY300 per person for the bread! Anyways, it was ok because the bread was freshly baked and it was very good.

The aglio olio pasta was first served. It didn't look extraordinary but when we had our first bite...OH MY GOSH! It was delicious! It is the best aglio olio I've had in my life! My husband said the same.

Then the pizza margherita dimare was served, and surprise surprise, the fish was not really a fish but...sea urchin roe! Now at this point my husband finally remembered that when the waiter was saying "uni", he meant sea urchin roe but the guy only knows the word fish!

Nevertheless, the pizza was amazing! I am not a fan of roe really but I was really impressed with the fantastic blending of this sea urchin roe with the pizza. I think it is one of the best pizzas I've had in my life.

Looking around the other tables, it was now obvious that this restaurant is always full not because it is small but because it is popular because of their delicious, freshly cooked dishes which were actually reasonably priced (the aglio olio costs JPY1540 and the 8-inch pizza was JPY980; the price on the menu is already inclusive of tax and service charge).
i like their artistic place mats
TV screen and menu