BBC Broadcasting House

Portland Place, London, United Kingdom
0370 901 1227
BBC Broadcasting House - There, the ticker tape display!
BBC Broadcasting House - Part of the studios
BBC Broadcasting House - The iconic logo
BBC Broadcasting House - Another shot of various staff by their computers coupled with a few TV studios

BBC Broadcasting House London Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Legendary and rightfully so! Sep 24, 2013
So really, where does one begin?

Who hasn't heard of the BCC? Who hasn't surfed the website, read the news or listened to the Top 40 countdown? It's such an icon in itself, and a face of Britain that it's near embarrassing that I've visited the UK so many times, and never moved my arse a few feet away from my safe haven of Oxford Circus to visit the BBC gem... yes, really, that's how close the BBC Broadcasting House is to the heart of London!

The website says you can tour the property, but you need to book a day before (and only by phone) which, well kind of made it impossible for this trip. But I did force my way through at 530pm when the staff were leaving with their badges, and walked in.

It really looked like any other office, but with big screen tickers - one for weather, one for stocks, etc. There were lots of people coming in as audience for some show (they all had a printout of a 'ticket' I guess) and heading in for security/baggage check. Infact, if anything, it hardly looked like a tourist attraction. What was even more surprising is, considering it's only a few blocks away from Oxford Circus, I didn't find that many tourists in there!

So anyway, I hung around and they said I can see the shooting area (it's basically a canteen that overlooks the studios in the basement). I went through security check as well, and walked in, it seemed very informal. The canteen was crowded with folks waiting to be called.

Overall, it was cool seeing BBC, and as I said already, I had no bloody idea that it was so close to Oxford Street! I know there's another one in Maida Vale as well though which I should probably visit at some time (or least hang out the front door where the top stars enjoy!)
Part of the studios
There, the ticker tape display!
Another shot of various staff by t…
The iconic logo
wandafromtexas says:
something not too many take the time to do...
Posted on: Oct 30, 2013