TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 686,335 travelers just like you!

BASAIC
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Name: Jim
Hometown: Florida, USA
Location: Arizona, USA
Join Date: January 26, 2017
Contributions: BASAIC has written about 533 places, shared 1,861 photos, left 731 comments, and smiled 953 times.
Travel Plans
Michigan, USA
dream destination
If I get my heart surgery done in time, I will drive along the eastern shore of Michigan into the UP, this summer. Had the heart surgery in July but this trip is still postponed until 2018.
Vulcan, Canada
Star Trek Headquarters of Canada
Weiser, Idaho, USA
Visit Family
» see all 4 future travel and dream destinations
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, basic German, Italian and Korean. Greetings in several more.
Interests
Most Memorable Travel Experience
Helping the park ranger take down the flag at Petrified Forest National Park at dusk.

Experiencing a Dine Sweat.

Joining a Rock Band in a smoky cabaret in Munich to play sax for a few songs and getting a tall beautiful groupie named Heidi.

Drinking in a bar in Nyhavn in Copenhagen with Merchant Marines from about a dozen countries.

Walking by the Palace of Westminster in London as "Big Ben" sounded Noon, and later that day again as it sounded midnight.

Seeing Berlin before the wall fell and again after.

Filling sand bags to help some locals prep for a coming typhoon in South Korea (was even on TV).

Running with the bulls.
Profile
I like to hit the back roads and see the small towns. One of my biggest goals here on TB, as it was on VT, is to bring you the small out of the way places you may have never heard of.

On VT I worked my way up to #10 and #310 on the travel blogs. I had posted over 10,000 reviews (third most on VT) and over 30,000 photos. I had posted near the top number of hotel reviews. I won the second annual "Most Unique Pages" award (interestingly enough the first award also went to a guy from Arizona). I won the hotel reviewer of the year awards twice, the American Aficionado Award once (most tips written on the US that year), the first (and only) Pioneer Award (for writing up over 1500 locations for the first time), when they decided to pick a Photo of the Week mine was the first one chosen, when they had a contest to state why we traveled and put it on a photo, mine was the first one chosen.

Strong believer in the saying "no day is wasted when you learn something".
silverbacker says:
How did the heart surgery go & have you been to Costa Rica?
Posted on: Aug 21, 2017
walterman9999 says:
Thanks Jim,
Can you tell me what town in Arizona where you live?
Posted on: Aug 14, 2017
DaveSwede says:
Thanks! I probably wasn't the fastest to get that badge! And I've been sadly lacking in posting any content unlike on VT.. You've been off to the races on that however! Well done!
Posted on: Aug 12, 2017

BASAIC's Travel Blogs

May 23, 2017 – May 31, 2017
From 23 May 2017 to 5 July 2017 I drove from my home in Sierra Vista, through New Mexico and into Texas and back home exploring…
Overview 4,483 words 240 32 158
This blog was featured on Saturday July 22nd, 2017
March 2017 Short Trip in Arizona
Mar 06, 2017 – Mar 11, 2017
Most of early 2017 has been spent kind of in limbo awaiting heart surgery. I could not make definite travel plans as I had no …
Overview 1,223 words 189 24 253
Driving the Battle Pass Scenic Byway
Sep 01, 2015
The Battle Pass Scenic Byway follows Wyoming Highway 70 through the Sierra Madre Mountains and the Medicine Bow National Forest…
Overview 1,076 words 97 13 53

BASAIC's Travel Reviews

Average priced "Restaurants, Cafes & Food" in Killeen, Texas, USA
As I point out to my nephews and grandnephews, I may be on the wrong side of 60 but that just me…
Expensive "Hotels & Accommodations" in Pueblo of Acoma, New Mexico, USA
$103 with a discount as of August 2017 (prices vary due to weekend/weekday, seasons, special eve…
Free! "Sights & Attractions" in Moody, Texas, USA
I enjoyed my brief stop in Moody, it seemed like a nice town with some pleasant people and some …