Azerbaijani Money (the Manat)

Baku, Azerbaijan

Azerbaijani Money (the Manat) Baku Reviews

mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
Aug 04, 2007
Azerbaijan has recently changed from the Mim Manat to the New Manat. This has led to wide spread confusion among most tourist as many business across Azerbaijan still use the mim manat for pricing of items. Most of the businesses in Baku use new manat in pricing. I will do my best to clear up any confusion for those of you may be interested in visiting.

5000 mim manat=1 new manat

1000 mim manat=20 kopec

100 kopec=1 new manat

So if someone gives you the price of 122,000 for your groceries, do not panic. It is not new manat, well unless you really like to eat well and have bought the store. The actual price is 24.40 new manat or 24 new manat and 40 kopec.

This is where it gets a little tricky. In the old system, there was also the Shirva (spelling?).

1 shirva=10000 mim manat=2 new manat

If you go to any of the bazaars here or any other place that does not have prices marked, sometimes you will get prices quoted in shriva. If someone asks for 15 shirva, they are asking for 30 new manat.

If you are merely visiting Baku, you probably will not need this, but if you venture outside into other regions, it is good know.
dansgirl1978 says:
wow! for someone as math challenged as me this is way too confusing and I'd probably never buy anything! :)
Posted on: Oct 10, 2007
ekthor says:
I agree...its confusing haha If I went there I would keep asking what currency we're talking about every time.
Posted on: Aug 04, 2007
boriana84 says:
I dont have plans on traveling there soon, but I'll defenately look into this, it sounds quite interesting and extremely confusing! Great of you to help out all future travelers, I know if I went I would defenately behaing a panic attack right now :-)
Posted on: Aug 04, 2007