Azadi Panorama

Azadi Panorama - Azadi Park, 2010

Azadi Panorama Dohuk Reviews

maykal maykal
Azadi Panorama Jan 11, 2014
Touristic signposts all over town point you towards the Azadi Panorama, but nobody seemed to know what on earth it was. I tried following the signs, but they didn't really lead me anywhere, so I gave up....until my taxi driver coming back from Amedi drove past it and pointed it out. So having some free time in Dohuk, I decided to walk up here hoping for some vistas. Well, the main building with a large sculpture on the roof was closed and there were no signs on the outside to say if this was ever open to the public or not. The park next door was also not yet open, with a few workmen milling around by a mini Big Ben tower. But from outside, I could still enjoy the views down the hill to Dohuk, a huge Kurdish flag in the foreground and a mountain backdrop. It was late afternoon, and Dohuk looks at its best in this light.

Four years later, I was sure this place would be busy, so on a Friday afternoon I headed up here and found it deserted. The park was open, with a few couples chatting on benches, but the upmarket cafe was boarded up, and the building with the sculpture and flag on the roof was still closed.

So, two trips and I'm still none the wiser as to what the panorama is. Panoramas in Arab countries generally mean some sort of display in which you stand in the middle and look at a battle scene painted on the walls all around you, so maybe this is what lies locked inside the building. I've seen pictures of people posing for photos on the roof by the statues/sculptures, so it obviously does open sometimes. Question is, when?
Azadi Panorama 2010
Azadi Park, 2010
Azadi Park 2014
The mysterious building with "thin…
Azadi Panorama Map