Ayutthaya Historical Park

Ayutthaya, Thailand

Ayutthaya Historical Park Reviews

tlenot tlenot
Ruins worth checking out in Ayutthaya Dec 27, 2013
This is were the old capital use to be but was destroyed by Burmese army. The ruins goes as far back as 1350. The part most checking out is Wat Phra Sri Sanphet. I believe these are the three large stupas. The place is somewhat big, you can walk around the ruins and take pictures. The other part of the park is Wat Chaiwatthanaram. This part is separated from the main area and I believe you have to pay to get in. We got there late and decided not to pay, but you can still see it from the outside perimeter.
Map of the historical park.
Wat Phra Si Sanphet.
Ayutthaya Historical Park.
Ayutthaya Historical Park.
gokatie gokatie
Ayutthaya: Def. worth going but pay attention to how you get there Apr 23, 2012
I took a train from Hua Lamphong station after having failed to find a van which was suppoed to be somwhere around Victory Monument. Only 15 Bht was the train ticket but you have to endure all the heat and dirts coming through the windows in the unairconditioned train (what can you expect for 15 Bht?) Okay, it was a good local experience, which I would take for once, but perhaps not twice. When coming back from Ayutthaya, the train left after 2 hours' delay for the departure and got completely stuck in the middle. So we got off the train, fortunately caught a metered taxi and got back to Bangkok for 100 Bht. In addition to 400 Bht for the local tuk tuk fee in Ayuttha, which took me to 4 different places for 2 hrs, I spent about 600 and 6 hrs on taking all the transportions needed to go back and forth.

Anyhow, my choice for the train was the worst but the ruins at Ayutthaya Historial Park were definitely worth seeing once in a lifetime. They reminded me the ruins in Rome by the way. It was like watching some pieces of time per se cut and framed in a picture.

Conclusion, if I had a chance to get to Ayutthaya again, I would just reserve a day trip to Ayutthaya that includes cruise+coach+lunch banquet package for 2000 Bht and with no hassles about transportation.
mbwhite mbwhite
ayutthaya on your own.. Sep 04, 2010
So i was in Bangkok for 24 hours and had no idea what to do. i spoke wit my hotel concierge and he caleld a taxi for me. the taxi proceeded to tell me about ayutthaya and its amazing history. He agreed to drive me around all day for the low sum of $20. In the states you cant go ten blocks without it costing you that much. It turns out the hotel i was staying in was an hour and a half away from ayutthaya. Of course we didnt have a guide to tell us the whole history and were left to do the exploring on our own. But we managed to get what i feel is an abundant amount of information about the sights through the signs that are everywhere or by listening on on other tour guides descriptions of the buildings and places.. its really quite amazing what you can learn in one afternoon about a people and its culture/history. To top this off our taxi driver talked us into going to ride an elephant. something my girlfriend at the time was reluctant to do. This excursion afforded us some more picture taking opportunities of places we had seen earlier that day. I did get a little worried however when our elephant decided to walk down a stepp bank to get a taste of water and not more than five feet in front of him in the water was a 7 foot crocodile. it just looked at us im sure hoping either one of us would fall into the water ;) the 30 dollars i spent on this trip was well worth it and i would defintiely suggest going it alone, this allows you rest breaks as you want them and you can spend as much time as you wish at each site exploring.
sarahelaine sarahela…
Ayutthaya Historical Park Sep 02, 2009
Ayutthaya is the historical capital of Thailand, and has a large number of interesting ruined temples and palaces. They were ruined in the course of various wars, so they are not quite as intact as the temples in Angkor Wat, but they are still quite interesting. The city was destroyed by the Burmese in the 18th century, and the capital eventually moved to nearby Bangkok.

Ayutthaya is easily accessible from Bangkok, with both organised tours and public trains going regularly. The public trains are particularly cheap, and although not mad comfortable seem reliable and safe. The conductor came and told us when to get off, which was nice of him and would never happen in the UK.

The historical complex takes up chunks of the whole town, which is built inside the moat of the old city. It is a UNESCO heritage site, and seems popular with local school trips. Several very polite little girls asked us to help them with a tourism survey in English, which I guess was some form of project in their English class.

The temples are lovely, and there are some very atmospheric parts. A highlight is the Buddha head where a tree has grown up around the head, which is now enclosed in the roots. There are also some intact Buddhas which are still focuses of worship. One Buddha is the largest seated Buddha in Thailand, and housed in a separate wat. There are small markets, and lots of places you can get a tuktuk or a bowl of noodle soup very reasonably. There are also elephant rides available, although I didn’t look into that myself.

A lot of backpackers in the region will ignore Ayutthaya because they are going to the larger Angkor Wat complex in Cambodia. I can understand that point of view. But the Thai city is interesting in its own right, and well worth a half day visit. This is especially true if you are not planning to visit Cambodia but are just spending a couple of days in Bangkok on your way to the beaches.
Eric says:
Thanks for sharing your review, looks like a great place.
Posted on: Dec 28, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Ayutthaya Historical Park

Ayutthaya kingdom, Clubbing and bars, Thai cooking class and Jatujak Market
1. Ayutthaya kingdom A must visit site if you are into historical site and Buddhist culture. Quick historical fact: "Ayutthaya was a Siamese kingdom that existed from 1351 to 1767. It is estimated…Ayutthaya historical park, which is recognized internationally as a UNESCO World Heritage Site." How to get there: Take air-con minibus…
Rattling around ruins
So, we finally left Chiang Mai. We had visited a travel agency as we wanted to book train tickets to Ayutthaya. The lady in the agency somehow managed to talk us out of taking the train and in…Ayutthaya Historical Park are now a UNESCO world heritage site. We were only here a couple of days but managed…
Ayutthaya
We left for Ayutthaya around 6:50 a.m. and drove for about an hour. Along on the tour was Steven, from the Philippines but of Chinese decent, and Maxine, Lou, and their 16-year old son, from Australi…Ayutthaya historical park. Most of the Buddhas had the heads removed from the Burmese invasion right before the city…

Check Ayutthaya Hotel Deals