Ayr Backpackers

Ayr Backpackers Reviews

terri_casey terri_ca…
Prison Camp Jan 04, 2013
Very very disappointing.

Though I read negative reviews before deciding to stay here, on first impressions I was doubting the honesty of them. The place, like all working backpackers so I’m told, was very dirty and underwhelming. I’m not sure what I expected but maybe clean bathrooms and warm water would have been nice. The owners however were very friendly until I refused to clean a friend of the families unit for the third time because of his derogative comments about young female maids.

The wooden bunk beds are not very stable and the mattresses are awful for your back. I slept on a mattress with a hole in the middle for three months. The hostel is ‘cleaned’ daily but the cleaner clearly hates her job and is rude shouting obscenities as a wake up call. After many complaints from the backpackers this was never resolved and became a running joke between all of us.

Many rules are in place which seem fair but it would be nice to have pots and pans left in the kitchen for general use instead of having to rent them at $2 a time. I would advise not to leave ANYTHING in the communal areas or on display in your room as things, including food and drink, went missing daily.

Farmwork is very dependent on the weather but it did seem like this hostel had the most opportunities and contacts compared to the other establishments. Wages vary depending on farms and some farmers were very unfair towards the backpackers. I assume that this is because there is an abundance of grumpy backpackers to choose from crammed into one hostel with not enough facilitites to cater for all.

The hostel is on the market now so maybe the new owners will be able to turn it around. My opinion is to steer clear of this regimental prison camp.

Check Ayr Hotel Deals