Awana Porto Malai Langkawi

Check Langkawi Hotel Deals

Awana Porto Malai Langkawi Reviews

112onlyu 112onlyu
Nice hotel, poor service Sep 20, 2011
As it was low season, we turned up and just decided that the Awana looked nice at a reasonable price. The hotel cost A$134 for 2 adjoining rooms per night for 4 people in May 2011. We stayed on the second floor overlooking the ocean.

Ferry from Kuala Kedah (mainland) to Kuah (Langkawi) was approximately 90 minutes and cost RM17 one-way for an adult. Approximately 90 minutes to drive from Kuah to the Awana.

Pros:

1. Each room had 2 separate single beds with tv and air conditioning

2. Clean bathroom (shampoo, soap and towels only)

3. Buffet breakfast had a nice mix of malay and western food

4. Beautiful swimming pool

Cons:

1. No complimentary wifi. Available at a cost

2. Private beach is a 5 minute boat ride away from the hotel jetty. The beach itself is not that special (especially after seeing White Beach, Boracay!)

Overall average - recommended for couples.

In terms of amenities, this hotel has many positives. Location right on the water’s edge, balcony overlooking said water and the distant islands, great buffet breakfast and rooms of a good standard.

However my lasting memory of this hotel was the poor service.

Upon arrival I was quoted a price of A$160. I handed over my credit card (Mastercard) and the hotel reception swiped my card and said that the machine was not accepting it. So I handed over my Amex and it too was not accepted. So I was told that my credit card needed to be taken into the back and tried on another machine. Now I am a very cautious traveller and when somebody wants to take my card out to a back room I am very suspicious, even if it was a reputable hotel. I rejected that straight away and another person came and proceeded to swipe my Amex on the original machine. Hey presto, it worked!

We were given our room keys and escorted to our rooms. Not more than 30 minutes later, reception called my room and aplogised that I had been overcharged the room rate! Still unhappy at the original service I went back down to reception to sort it out, which meant cancelling the original transaction and repeating again.

The second and more concerning event took place the next

day. While I was out visiting the private beach, my cousin stayed behind. She told me that a large wooden beam overhanging the door to the balcony had fallen down as she opened it (refer photo). Luckily it had only grazed her arm and not done more serious damage. Fortunately her young son was out with me at the time. Two repair men were sent to the room to assess the damage and fix it. We asked for a late check out, but I could not wait to get away. No apology from the hotel staff whatsoever. I was seething but my cousins swayed me not to make any more of it so I let it slide.

Please note that my bad experience may have been an exception. But then again, I am not someone who complains about little things either
raceim raceim
Great Resort in Langkawi Jan 15, 2010
This is my 1st contribution here. Hopefully, more travels to come. =)

I have read a lot of reviews for Awana Porto Malai. Some were good, others well, not so good. So before going there last August, my friends and I decided not to expect too much, so as not to be disappointed.

When we arrived at the airport, we had to wait for more than 30 minutes for the hotel's transport service to pick us up. I guess there was some miscommunication between the driver and the receptionist. We quickly overlooked this incident since the driver did apologize and he was very helpful on carrying our bags. Plus, they upgraded our rooms for free, great deal.

The resort was great and its location is excellent. Our rooms have a nice sea view (checkout uploaded pictures). Resort personnel were friendly and buffet foods were bountiful. =)

Sadly though, they were not able to accommodate us for a spa treatment. So be sure to book your appointment early.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Awana Porto Malai and believed that we got our money's worth.
The lobby
View from our room
Boardwalk
Boardwalk at night
MayWongMC MayWongMC
Breathtaking view, value for money, could improve on the rooms though Jan 03, 2009
Me and hubby has a great time there! But its a 3* (but they claim it 4*). Lets start with the good.

1) View was breathtaking! Especially from the jetty end, they have a whole wodden verandah like jetty with benches and beach lounges to relax and just watch the ocean, that area was perfect! In langkawi, alcohol being so cheap, duty free, each night we were there, we corked a bottle of wine, and malibu, and just chilled out, enjoying the smell and breeze and chatted away.

2) Food was so so. Breakfast was nothing to shout about. The usual range. BUt we had dinner at one of the restaurants, the package is called "under the stars", only RM68 per person for salad, soup, main dish, desert and a bottle of house wine. We felt this was a perfect deal. Setting was just romantic, by the jetty, overlooking the sea and yatchs. Food was good as well, but bot great

now the bad

1) Service: Not good. receptionist werent very helpful. Room service and housekeeping was very slow.

2) ROom condition was bed. Bed creaking, amenities not well maintained, old TV, remote not working. They really need to work on this area. (some 3* have better rooms). Nevertheless, it was clean, and spacious. And we had the ocean view, which was superb.
Overall view or Awana
View from the Jetty of the hotel
mychng mychng
Nice Mediteranean Feel Oct 09, 2009
I enjoyed my stay in Awana although I think they need to do some upgrading, eg. to provide free wifi to the guests living in the hotel. Not just limiting it to the lobby area or the bar. There is a tour desk but for some reason, I didn't see anyone there most of the times. Perhaps it was because of the bad weather.

Generally, this is a nice hotel. Scenic location. Ideal for honeymooners and families. Location is pretty good. Very close to Pantai Cenang.
view from the jetty

• Desk
  • Direct dial phone
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower