Avoid being ripped off by taxi driver

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Avoid being ripped off by taxi driver Ho Chi Minh City Reviews

jenniferong jennifer…
Never use taxi in Hanoi Sep 30, 2011
You can avoid taxi scam by booking private airport transfer service in advance. For my last trip to Viet Nam, I got cheated in Hanoi. I and driver agreed on a price for the trip, let’s say $20.00, then once I arrived at my hotel the cabbie seems to remember agreeing on $35.00.

We argued 10 minutes and I paid to get peace in my mind. I did not want this thing destroy my holiday.

For next trip to Da Nang, Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh city, I did some searches and found this great site: www.yourlocalbooking.com. It is online booking engine and instant confirmation

The price is reasonable. Prices are a bit more than a cab and a lot less than a hotel transfer. Gives you piece of mind, especially if you are flying in late and don't want the taxi haggling hassles. We got what we pay for

Their customer service was excellent! When we met our driver at arrival hall, the representative gave me a call, take care of us. She also checked my flight status because there was a typhoon coming. That was really great. I did not expect.

This is hotline: + 84 979 58 77 44 or support@yourlocalbooking.com
borneonikieta borneoni…
Mekong Delta Trip Jan 02, 2009
If you are not into boat, or snakes, or ponies then don't take this trip!

The cheapest way (in my opinion) to get to Mekong Delta is by bus. Not just any bus but bus booked through Sinh Cafe (will tell you the address of Sinh Cafe after I edit this review later on..and ps - Sinh Cafe is not really a cafe per se). It will cost you around 164,000 Vietnam dong so that is probably around 10USD. The bus leaves quite early and Sinh Cafe offers several types of trip ranging from a One-Day Trip to Three-Day Trip (mine was the One-Day Trip).

My bus left around 8.30am and around this time, you should anticipate a very big crowd of tourists and locals outside of the cafe waiting for the buses. You shouldn't worry of missing breakfast as there is a few restaurants around Sinh Cafe where you can have one while waiting.

The bus trip from Sinh Cafe (district one) to Mekong Delta takes about four hours. Bottled water is also provided. The Mekong Delta Trip includes the following:

1) Bus trip

2) One bottle water

3) Boat ride

4) Tour guide

5) Lunch at one of the restaurants on the Mekong Delta

6) Pony ride

7) Meeting with a big python (not really my cuppa tea)

8) A boat trip on a perahu (small boat rowed by old women or men)

If you take the 8.30am bus, you should be back to Ho Chi Minh City by 6pm. The Mekong Delta touring alone takes about 4 hours to finish.

PS - If you want to buy souvenirs, it would be a good idea to bring more than 100,000 dong as the souvenir shops there really mark up their stuff.

PS - Snakewine tastes HORRIBLE!!
borneonikieta says:
Thanks and good luck with your adventure!!
Posted on: Jan 02, 2009
arlene0725 says:
These are great travel tips. Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore are on my list to visit. Happy 2009! best, AC
Posted on: Jan 02, 2009
borneonikieta borneoni…
Tips for first timer in Ho Chi Minh City. Dec 31, 2008
I know by past experience that being ripped off is the one thing that any travellers from anywhere in this world try to avoid. It is not a good feeling to find out that you have been cheated especially if you are travelling on a tight budget like I always do. So here is a few tips that I would like to share with you when you are in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)especially for first timers:

1) Taxi cost around 100,000 dong from the airport to District 3

2) Cheap hotels or hostels should cost less than 15 USD...more than that you're being ripped off

3) Always keep the business card of the place you stay...most of the taxi driver there would NEVER understand your pronounciation. Let them read!

4) Motorbike is ALWAYS cheaper than taxi

5) Stay at the back packer area. That is around Binh Market. It is great to hear advice from other travellers.

6) The most famous place to get out of Saigon to other places like Dalat, Cu Chi Tunnel, Nha Trang etc by bus is an travel agency called Sinh Cafe. It is in District 1. I've tried other places they charged more.

7) Nha Trang is 6 to 7 hours away from Saigon by train.You can buy the ticket yourself. Asking your tourguide to do this for you may cost you more as they would charge for commission. It is not that difficult to do this yourself.

8) Cu Chi tunnel is about 2 hours drive away from Saigon. It costs 80,000 Dong per entry.

9) Apart from Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar is another airline that you can use to fly from Saigon to Hanoi. I heard it is cheaper too.
Traffic in Saigon comprises of mot…
ian27 says:
thanks for the advice. The information is 3 years old, has inflation caught up? I am wondering from other current travellers what is the ball park for hostel, 2011? Also what is hostel like, sharing with other travellers?
Posted on: Oct 14, 2011