Avenues Hostel

Avenues Hostel Rates and Deals

Avenues Hostel Salt Lake City Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Avenues of SLC Feb 04, 2013
After couple strange experiences with hostels in US, I was happy to find one that stands to standards of real international hostel. Avenues Hostel is in the quiet older neighborhood in Salt Lake City, not too far from the center of the town. I did not have any problem finding it because of the perfect grid system that SLC has. Whole downtown area is very peaceful, full of threes and beautiful houses, which is in sharp contrast with other US cities of the similar size. I arrived at night and accidently parked at the neighbor’s driveway, but moved the car behind the hostel after they told me about their parking. There is also parking under beautiful trees lining the street. I don’t know if there is any public transport to this area, but city looks very organized so I assume that you can catch some bus. Price for dormitory is very fair, with $18 per person, it is one of the cheapest places to stay.

Building is on the two floors and expends into two wings. I believe that it is divided to girls and guys wings, but I am not sure any more. In the middle there is area where you can storage your bicycle or sit on the chairs and smoke. My room was upstairs, had four beds all clean and sturdy, with lots of light and enough space to turn around. I cont remember if there are lockers available, but I think that there are some wooden lockers in the room. There is fan and air-conditioning in the room but weather was very pleasant so fan was more than enough. Bathrooms have plenty room and look like club house bathrooms. There are three-four stalls for hot shower and same for restroom on the opposite side, and then you have benches in the middle of the room.

Living room area is big and equipped with comfortable chairs and sofas. Huge TV takes care of most entertainment and there are some board games and as much conversation as you can make. WiFi is available all around, but they also have couple of desktops if you did not bring your own device.

Free breakfast is available in the kitchen and it is continental BS that I can’t eat any more. Some peanut butter, strawberry jam, couple of sugary cereals and pancake mix is not what I am looking for as a beginning of the day. Coffee is brewed and limitless. You can make better decision and go to the store couple blocks up the hill, buy some goodies and fresh bread and make your own perfect breakfast.

I see that some people had bad experiences in this place, but I did not encounter any of the issues posted. Reception people were acting totally professional and everything in the hostel was clean and run smoothly. Unfortunately I had only one day time to stay in the city and I did not visit all the places that I want, so I’ll probably come back here and stay in the same hostel.
Showers
Bathroom
Living room
yasuyo yasuyo
Oct 21, 2011
Since when I booked The Avenues Hostel on Internet,they helped me a lot by exchange e-mails. They makes us feel very at home and staff are really nice! Sometimes happened very funny things there,we could laugh any moments with staff and other guests!

They provide stuff of breakfast at kitchen, we can use breads,eggs,coffee,milk...

Most memorized thing is they made a tour to Arizona by car. I wanted to visit the 2places in Arizona but not be able to find any tour for them. Then they make it for us and we did camp at Arizona also they showed us other 2places!

It was really great 2days trip as I never expect!

I definitely will stay there again when I go to Salt Lake City!
This is a kitchen for ladies
the view from the kitchen
loby at 2nd floor of ladies part
We rent a bike 10$/day
yasuyo says:
Hi Harriet! Yes,I was there:) I thought that I let you know about my trip! Sorry if I didn't do it:( I'll post a lot of photos and blog soon! And maybe I'll come to Utah early next year again!
Posted on: Nov 14, 2011
Africancrab says:
OMG you were in the States. Glad you had a great time.
Posted on: Nov 13, 2011
docwilson docwilson
Jan 14, 2008
I’ve slept in $2/night slums in Greece. I’ve slept on Italian train station floors. I’ve slept on a rooftop in Ethiopia. I’ve slept in Army tents in Iraq and Djibouti. I’ve stayed in some pretty nasty places in the world… and THE AVENUES HOSTEL in SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH is the worst. Disgusting bathrooms; dirty, soiled furniture and carpet in the common spaces; cold showers; unhelpful, unaccommodating staff; poor management… the list could go on for days. When they say, “We cater to the budget traveler,” what they really mean is, “We house drunken vagrants who haven’t bathed in months.” As for customer service, when I was forced to check out 2 days early for a family emergency, their oh-so-flexible staff were kind enough to return my key deposit, but couldn’t break their “No Refund” policy to reimburse my payment for the next two nights. Very understanding, wouldn’t you say? So, to summarize, I’ve seen many parts of the world, and stayed in some awful trash-holes…but I prefer the mortars and gunfire of Iraq to The Avenues Hostel in Salt Lake City. Do NOT stay here…do NOT stay here…do NOT stay here. …do NOT stay here…EVER…EVER EVER EVER.
Africancrab says: