Avalon House

Avalon House Rates and Deals

Avalon House Dublin Reviews

SimonaBasso SimonaBa…
Cheap and friendly hostel in the city centre Apr 14, 2011
The property was originally Victorian medical school built at the end of the nineteenth century.

Clean, great location (10 mins walk from the heart of the city and all the pubs...but also easy to reach from the airport), good continental breakfast, a cafe next to the hostel that all the people who stay there can also use as common room at night, Avalon House is considered one of the best hostels in Dublin.

It has also a very kind and friendly staff, they can help you to plan your days, and advice you what is worth a visit.

It is one of the few hostels that uses wind and solar energy.

I was there for a week in a 12 bed room. I have to say that the room was very clean and my roomates were so kind and friendly!
thinkingdorsia thinking…
Avalon House.... good for your $ Apr 27, 2011
This is supposedly one of the most famous hostels in the world. I don't know about that, but I would definitely go back. It was located in a convenient area, within walking distance and near plenty of public transportation. I was able to visit a lot of sites and tourist-y type places just within walking. The rooms and bathrooms were clean, and the staff was super friendly and helpful. I made the mistake of visiting Dublin on a big holiday weekend so it was extremely busy and full there. I guess any other time of year it would have been a little more low-key and nice to hang out. Either way, I still had a great time there and met some cool people.
mudelas mudelas
good value Aug 16, 2010
the Avalon House hostel in Dublin, is a nice place to stay if you don´t want to expend lots of money, and also if you want to Know people of other countries.

It is not rigth in Dublin´s centre, but almost, so you can sleep without street noises but you are near enough to those good places you´ll look for if you want to go out (temple bar is 7min walk)

The bedrooms are small, at least the one I was in ( I was in a four bed room), but I didn´t need more space.

Beds are Ok, not the best in my life, but I slept really good, and they have these blackout curtains with wich you take off a lot of ligth in the morning.

The bathroom is for men/women,( and so are the bedrooms), and has the small problem of the terrible hot, and pressure of the water.

they have free Internet (slow), lift, cages to keep your valuable things in, a cafeteria in wich you´ll take your breakfast (continental: bread, cereals/milk, juice, with the option of buying some other things),It is pretty nice, and so charming for me, I enjoyed so much that moment of my trip.

They also have this meeting place o places.. I don´t Know how they are because I was out the most of the time.

The people working there was nice all the time. They don´t have problems with smlie at everyone.

I saw an advertisement: "if you want to play some music, ask us for the guitar..." curious.... in fact I saw people jamming at the fron door :).

If you go to Dublin this is for me a good place. And it is really easy to get there from the airport ( bus 16A stops almost at the door of the Avalon house... but don´t forget to take w/ you the exact import: 2.40€ (august 2010))
mudelas says:
I couldn´t... there was an Italian guy playing, and he broke two strings of the guitar :(
...But I had my recorder w/ me... :D
Posted on: Aug 18, 2010
kellyyyz says:
So.....did you play the guitar or not? :)
Posted on: Aug 17, 2010
thatjenny thatjenny
Nice enough hostel Apr 08, 2009
I stayed here last time I was in Dublin, It's really easy to get there from the airport because there is a direct bus that only costs 1,50 Euro. Make sure to ask the bus driver to call your stop especially if you can't pronounce Aungier street (where avalon is) the Irish way. You know you are about 5 minutes away once you are going down O'Connell street (busy shopping area). Pay attention because the street signs are not very clear!

The hostel wasn't too busy when I was there, and the staff was friendly enough.

- Free internet, but there are only 4 or 5 computers and often times it's slow or doesn't work

- Breakfast wasn't really that great for me, cereal consists of musli, not everyone is into that so I had to load up on toast.

- Co-ed shower, although each floor also has a private shower and bathroom if you are lucky enough to get to it first.

- really cool basement area that you can hang out in

- The lift actually works!

- Good location, right in the middle of everything, but not necessarily close to anything specific. Expect to walk 10-20 minutes to most sites.

- The guy at the front desk lent me their blow dryer for free when I got caught in the rain.

In the end this was probably the most peaceful time of my trip, as it was pretty quiet during the time I was there.
free08 free08
Crazy Hostel Mar 08, 2009
Location is great-cheapest mode of transportation from the airport, bus stop right front of the hostel. Close to many attractions.

Its' a zoo, too many people, no curfew, kitchen dirty, bathrooms too small, showers clausphobic...

4 computers, one way too slow, free internet.

free breakfast-cereal, toast, juice and water

can upgrade the breakfast for a nominal fee.

ping pong table, tv room with some videos,cafetaria pretty good size.

Kitchen not open 24 hours.

Avoid rooms facing the front door-way too noisy since people come and go any time

Hallway floors too creaky, can disturb one's sleep if your bed is right next to the hall way. Walls pretty thin.

Staff very informative and professional

Some long term residents.

I don't think I would stay there again.
jsuuronen jsuuronen
Jan 20, 2007
i stayed at the avalon house in dublin for only one night, but i definitely wouldn't have had a problem staying there longer. They had a great selection of activities - ping pong, pool, darts, air hockey, movies - and free internet on three machines to boot.i'm pretty sure a continental breakfast was included, however i did not get up in time so i can't say for sure.while the room i stayed in was a little small - and it was not ensuite, it was still very nice. Traditional bunk beds were on the lower floor, and upstairs via a small spiral staircase, there were four more beds - two on each side of a dividing wall. There was much more privacy up there, and i would highly recommend trying to get those beds if you are travelling with a significant other.the bathrooms were clean, and the showers were plentiful - although they were a little small.the avalon house also has a great location, and you can walk to most anything you need.
nnimhir nnimhir
Aug 29, 2006
This hostel is very centrally located and has all you need! Great place to meet people too.
Dublin - halfpenny bridge
fredleal says:
cheap and central, that's a must!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2006
travelman727 says:
Nice review!
Posted on: Aug 29, 2006
JJguinness JJguinne…
Dublin Hostel Oct 01, 2004
Avalon house is a decent place to stay while in Dublin. It's location is walking distance to Temple Bar. It is fairly social place. And the rooms were clean.

They offer the following amenities:

Large variety of rooms (singles/twins/triples/four bed/6 bed/10bed/12 bed)

Self catering kitchen

Free Internet and WiFi

Games Room (table tennis, pool, table football, PlayStation)

Pub Crawls

Cinema Room

Hot Showers (Solar powered)

Free walking tours from the hostel

Free breakfast

Luggage Storage

Bureau de Change

Phone/battery charging

Free bus transfer (redeem your 16A bus ticket when you check in)

Secure key card system

Travel and tour Reservations

Book swap

Weighing scales for luggage

Hairdryers / Umbrellas / International adaptors

Towels for hire (free in private rooms)

Bicycle rental (only €12.50 per day)

It seemed to be a fun place to stay and location was good. They can help with tours and they organize a pub crawl. Overall I would recommend it.
Street view

• Excursions
  • Walking
  • Billiards
  • Ticket Service
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels