Australian Guesthouse

Check Hong Kong Hotel Deals

Australian Guesthouse Hong Kong Reviews

kimpigott kimpigott
Affordable & Clean Accommodation in the heart of the city Mar 22, 2012
After making an error of booking a hotel in the red light district, the pressure was on to find somewhere that was reasonably priced at short notice. This was by far the best find. I've stayed in Hong Kong before at the City View and I remember how easy it was to get to so was hoping for the same sort of thing. I'd heard a few things about Chung King Mansions from various reviews but based on how many guesthouses are in this building, I definitely struck lucky.

After flying in from Bangkok, the journey was easy. With help from a couple of guys who I'd got chatting to on the way through we all got the bus, think it was the E21 which takes you to the train station. This was only $3.50 and then from there you buy a ticket to Tsim Sha Tsui which is $16.00. The bus drops you at the Tung Chung Station and you take 3 stops to La King where you change to the red route train to Tsim Sha Tsui. Thankfully a guy on the train gave me a heads up that it was exit H and when you walk out on to the street you just cross the street and you are there.

It was a bit daunting as you walk through as I got there quite late and things were shutting up slowly but surely and you will get hassled for guesthouses by people as you walk through but once you tell them you have something booked they tend to leave you alone. The ground floor is like a big market stall which reminds me a bit of the stalls in MBK in Bangkok with rows and rows of mobile phone sellers. It is a bit of a maze to find the lift to the right block but you can ask most people for Block D and they will point you in the right direction. Head straight up to the 16th floor and turn right outside the lift and call the buzzer.

After my long journey I was greeted by Sunny, the manager who already knew who I was when I arrived. Really nice friendly guy and really helpful. After making sure everything was ok with the room, left me with his business card in case I needed anything. I'd booked a single room but as they were all full he put me into one of the deluxe rooms (bit of a result!). When he showed me the room, I was taken back - not only did it have 2 double beds, but a fridge, a safe, bathroom with hot water, TV and air con! I felt like I was in luxury. I did have to move rooms the following day but at once I felt at ease. You even get free tea and coffee. The rooms are well tucked away and when you get given the room key you are also given a key to get into your block so no other guests are able to get in.

You get wifi in the rooms also which has a strong signal and after having a few days without internet it was great to be able to catch up with emails etc without having to leave my room. When the adapter for my laptop didn't work, he instantly provided me with one that I could use.

When I moved to the new room in the morning I was moved to an equally luxury room just minus the air con and the safe but had a fan instead which is extremely effective as I'm sat here in a cardigan. After being used to just a fan in Cambodia I'm taking full advantage of being cold and actually enjoying being able to wrap up in the warm blankets they also provide.

There has only been one down side to this place, the cleaner who asked me to move rooms was a little on the weird side. When walking past him in one of the other rooms he was doing some examining of himself which wasn't the nicest thing to see first thing in the morning.

Overall though this place is by far one of the safest feeling places and when walking through some of the other floors it's by far luxurious for the lower end of the budget.

Australian Guesthouse Overview

This hotel is in the Tsim Sha Tsui district of Hong Kong, and within a 10 minute walk of Miramar Shopping Centre, Harbour City Mall and Avenue of Stars. The hotel is conveniently located for sightseeing in Hong Kong with Ocean Terminal, The ONE Shopping Centre and Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry Pier within a 10 minute walk. The hotel is a five-minute walk from many attractions including Hong Kong Museum of Art and Hong Kong Space Museum.

If shopping is on the agenda, the Australian Guesthouse is ideally situated to access Hong Kong's shopping district. A wireless internet connection is available. Guests can order room service 24/7.

If you're travelling with a family in tow, the Australian Guesthouse offers sizeable rooms geared towards the requirements of families and kids. Each room includes facilities such as a refrigerator, a plasma / LCD TV and cable / satellite channels. Private bathrooms include a shower, towels and a hair dryer.

Australian Guesthouse Amenities

• Cable / Satellite TV
  • Hair Dryer
  • TV
  • Desk
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels