Australia for 4 months

Australia

Australia for 4 months Reviews

mangomm33 mangomm33
Jun 27, 2007
I spent 4 months in Australia as a 20 year old for one semester in college... it was the best travel experience so far. After being all over the world I have found that Sydney, Australia is the greatest city in the world. For one it is very clean, beautiful weather year round, great beaches, great amusements, famous buildings/musuems. It is a city with everything you would ever want. The Rocks district is the perfect place to stay as you can take the ferry anywhere you need. It is definately a city I would return to for a few years in the future. I spent a majority of the time living in Melbourne. Melbourne is also a great city but more of a livable city since it is cheaper but it has some great undiscovered regions outside the center of downtown. The negative is the lack of beaches and slightly colder climate. While in Melbourne take your own car on the Great Ocean Road; got to see Koalas & kangaroos/wallabies in the wild, some of the best surfing in the world and the famous london bridge.

As for trips while in Australia;

Cairns; Port Doulgas --> less impressive, not sure I would waste the trip if I returned. Highlight: sky-diving over the Great Barrier Reef

Sufers Paradise --> very fun bar/nightclub area, waves not good for surfing as they break on top of each other instead of roll, beaches usually pretty windy, very Americanized.

Byron Bay --> opposite of Surfers Paradise, amazing small hippy village, beautiful beaches, slow lifestyle, amazing hostels, good food, pretty good surfing backside of lookout point. Overall highly recommend for a relaxing weekend with some surfing, beaches, drinks, and music.

Whitsundays --> 4 day sailing trip. Highly recommend, beautiful beaches, tons of fun on the boats, all young kids looking to have a great time.

If I could only go back for 1 month I would spend one week in Sydney, one week sailing/diving the Great Barrier Reef, then go to Frazier Island, Byron Bay, and possibly discover the rest of Australia that I missed.

Also spent 2 weeks in New Zealand going from North - South Island in an RV with my rents. Beautiful aand very relaxing trip. No crazy nightlife, everything closes very early but amazing dolphin and whale sitings. Queenstown very fun city (reminds me of an Aspen type) great pubs.
Australia Map