Aurorita Restaurant Mexicano

303 Ave. de Diego - urb. Puerto Nuevo, San Juan, PR, USA

Aurorita Restaurant Mexicano San Juan Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
A piece of Mexico in San Juan - Aurorita Restaurant Mexicano Feb 07, 2009
Going to Mexican place in Puerto Rico? Well, it doesn’t make much sense when you listen to it, but this place was really good. We were eating Puerto Rican food the last couple of days and don’t get me wrong. It was tasty, but we were ready for a change and what better choice than Aurorita?

The restaurant is located in San Juan. It used to be just part of the house but then the whole building became the restaurant. They even have a bar section at the bar. The atmosphere is great and a bit modern. At the bar you can see the barman fixing the drinks, most of them margaritas of course. Also you can take a look at the kitchen and see how they cook everything. The furniture is modern, but keep on Mexican decoration objects and if you are cold (like was my case) they will lend you some really nice and colourful Mexican wraps to keep you warm. But this is not the only Mexican thing they offer. From Wed – Sun they have mariachis who will perform the songs the people request. They go from table to table asking for the songs you’d like to listen and will play them for you.

Now, talk about the food. We didn’t order any appetizer, since we were told the size of the portions was big and wanted to save space for the main dishes, also they give you chips and a delicious salsa – with chilli, yummy! At the menu you can find the different Mexican dishes like: tacos, flautas, chalupas, tostadas, refritos, etc. If you don’t know what one means, do not hesitate to ask the waiter. We certainly did it so, hehe. But before ordering anything, read the whole menu. At the end there are dishes called “Combinaciones” or “Combinations” which mix different Mexican dishes. This would be your best choice if you don’t know what to order, but want to try a bit of everything, haha.

The most popular combinacion is #2, this is the one Francisco and Lilia got. One each, hehe. And me? Well, I decided to be vegetarian that night and ordered a Salad – the Ensalada Norteña. It was very good and fresh. I liked the fact that the dressing wasn’t too much, perfect amount. But it didn’t mean, I didn’t try some of the Mexican food. I tried a bit of the Combinacion and was very good. The food wasn’t greasy and you could feel the flavours of fresh ingredients. Francisco was telling me, he wasn’t hungry, but ended eating everything, hehe.

After a delicious meal, we all were full, but Enrico insited we tried his favourite dessert: Cajeta de celaya. It was dulce de leche (like cream caramel) and you have to dip sweet chips. It was delicious!!! Sweet but not too much. In South America we love the dulce de leche and I’m quite an expert regarding this and I can say this one was one of the best I have had.

Of course they serve Margaritas. Which are refreshing and tasty and according to expert Jess, the one she got was the 2nd best she had ever!

And at last but not least, the staff is nice and helpful. Although Enrico’s and my order took longer, I’d say that the stuff do their best. They could be a bit slow, but the place is always crowded and they are always smiling and ready to help.

If you are in San Juan and feel in the mood of trying another cuisine besides the Puerto Rican. I recommend you to stop by Aurorita. Great food & great atmosphere!
holding the menu, hehe