Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord

Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord - Approaching Gudvangen

Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord Reviews

davidx davidx
Great fjord scenery Dec 02, 2010
I suppose I could have put 'free' as you could just look at these lovely fjords but I can't imagine anybody noot being drawn to the ferry from Flåm, at the end of the Aurlandsfjord, to Gudvangen at the end of the Nærøyfjord. A passenger ferry runs all the year and a car ferry in the summer. The Aurlandsfjord is a branch of the Sognefjord and the Nærøyfjord s a branch of the Aurlandfjord. They are both on the World Heritage list.

The ferry trip is really wonderful. I was fortunate to do it in the morning with the mist from the previous day's bad weather rising over the Aurlandsfjord and good weather over the Nærøyfjord. In the afternoon the bad weather returned with a vengeance!

The ferry calls at Aurland on its way. here comes a tip. DON'T, as I did, go from Fråm to Aurland by bus to look at it first and then get on the ferry. Sounds sensible enough, doesn't it. That's not how I felt when the ferry drew near the quay and a man shouted a message that they could not pick up more passengers without going above the legal limtt. As it happens I gained from better weather by going the next day but obviously it could as well be the opposite.

Just before turning into the Nærøyfjord the ferry passes the little (tiny in fact!) port of Umdredal. This is surrounded by mountains and had only recently achieved road access, having previously been dependent on boats. I'd love to spend a bit of time there some time.

Just before reaching Gudvangen the boat passes Norway's smallest postal district. i forget its name and it seems too small to show on maps. I had expected to continue to Voss by bus but I enjoyed the trip so much on the ferry that I decided to take it back.
Aurlandsfjord 1