Auld Reekie Tours

45 Niddry Street, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Auld Reekie Tours Edinburgh Reviews

steph84 steph84
Great way to learn about Edinburgh's dark history Dec 10, 2012
As a tourist in Edinburgh, you will get tons of information and advertising on ghost and terror tours and in case you are interested in going on such a tour it will be hard to pick the right one.

All tours start on the Royal Mile in the city center. I am usually not a big fan of guided tours but I really wanted to learn more about Edinburgh's dark past in a fun way. I picked Auld Reekie Tours because it did not seem as overcrowded as other tours, the guides made an authentic impression and the tour prices were reasonable (10 GBP).

I went on a 50 minute long tour at about 8 pm in a small group of only 5 participants. We first walked through the old town, stopped at two or three historic 'dark' places and got an overview of Edinburgh's gloomy history. We then went into the actual Underground, walked through the vaults, looked at various terror instruments and finished the tour in the 'witch room'.

The tour was very informative, slightly scary and truly impressive. If you are suffering from claustrophobia you should definitely reconsider taking this tour as the vaults make you feel quite uncomfortable. There is hardly any light.

I recommend this tour for anyone willing to experience something extraordinary and scary and you should take an 'early' tour if you prefer being in a small group of participants.

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals