106 Rue de la Folie-Méricourt, Paris, France

Auberge Pyrénées Cévennes Paris Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
A jewel of a restaurant. Mar 26, 2011
Hidden away in a side street near Place de la République you will find the fantastic Auberge Pyrénées Cévennes, a real gem of a restaurant, which serves speciaities from Lyon. It is run by Françoise and her husband, Dariel. Both the owners and the staff are adorable, they are warm and very helpful. The restaurant seats 60 people and prices are very reasonable. On Friday and Saturday nights reservations are recommended.

I have been to Auberge Pyrénées Cévennes five times and have brought different people each time. They have all enjoyed the nice atmosphere, the great service and the excellent food.

This time we ordered three different main dishes, the house speciality, the goose leg and the duck breast. All the dishes could not have been prepared better. It was an excellent dinner.

You can either order the set menu for €29,95, where you can choose between 7 starters, 8 main dishes and 11 desserts or choose from the al a carte menu. Mains are around €20. The wine menu has a good selection of white, red, and rosé wine as well as champagne. All drinks at reasonable prices.

Auberge Pyrénées Cévennes was recommended to me by a friend who is a chef, so I trusted his taste. The first time I went there I had told my colleges about this fantastic restaurant (without having been there myself), so they agreed to try it. We walked from our hotel and as we got closer to the restaurant the streets got emptier and emptier. When we arrived outside the restaurant the area was completely deserted. The curtains were closed and it was not possible to look inside. At this point I was getting nervous. I grabbed the door handle and the door opened. The restaurant was completely empty and the staff was sitting at a table eating. It was about 7:10 pm. One got up and asked if he could help, so I asked if they had a table for 6 people. When he asked if we had a reservation, I said no, looked around at all the empty tables, and a bit arrogant, smiled and asked if that was a problem. He said that they would try to squeeze us in. We got a table, ordered drinks and by the time we were served our meals the restaurant was packed. It turned out that the restaurant opened at 7:30 and that it was very popular among the locals.

I can highly recommend Auberge Pyrénées Cévennes. The staff is great, the atmosphere nice and warm and the food excellent.
citadin says:
From the name only, it seems that the restaurant specializes in Languedoc-Roussillon regional cuisine, as the area is bound by the Cévennes in the north-east and the Pyrénées in the south. The dishes pictured (duck magret, confit, foie gras, cassoulet) are classic southwestern french. It looks like a great find, I'll have to check it out!

In the same neighborhood, one of my favorite places is Chez Jenny, which makes the very best choucroute garnie (saurkraut) in Paris, and this according to an Alsatian relative who is a regular.
Posted on: Apr 09, 2011
Janpal says:
Sarah -- thanks for the photos and review. We were looking for something to send to friends going to Paris and your review and pics were perfect. We just ate at L'Auberge Pyrenées Cevennes on our last trip to Paris and it was by far our favorite place and your review captured perfectly its setting, atmosphere and food.
Posted on: Apr 04, 2011
sarahsan says:
It certainly is a bargain Sarah. Always great with a bargain, but even better when the food is excellent.
Posted on: Apr 03, 2011