Au Moulin à Vent

+33 3 80 30 81 43

Au Moulin à Vent Dijon Reviews

planxty planxty
Beautiful location, average bar. May 01, 2017
I have been drinking for a long number of years and, before anyone starts on me I know it is not clever and I certainly do not advise anyone to drink the way I do. However, it has led me to drink in some of the most remarkable places with my travelling allowing me to indulge my pastime in countries near and far. In terms of physical appearance and location I would have to say that the Au Moulin a Vent (Windmill) bar / restaurant in central Dijon has to be in the upper echelon.

I chanced upon this place on my first day in the city when I was wandering about with no idea where I was or where I was going and I entered a small square which boasted a lovely fountain and a roundabout (carousel) which transpired to have been designed and built by one M. Eiffel. The reader may have heard of his Tower in Paris. My eye next fell upon the beautiful medieval building you can see in the images which are such a feature of this amazing city. Pleasing as it was per se, it transpired to be a bar / restaurant as well so happy days.

I should explain that this was the first of May (Mayday), the international socialist celebration and a public holiday in France which probably accounted for the roundabout and as such the place was completely packed inside and out in the lovely and quite extensive al fresco area. I had to hang aorund for a little while until a small table became available and I planted myself there. I have to say that service from the traditionally attired waiter was a little slow but that was to be expected given the circumstances.

I ordered a large beer as is my wont and it eventually arrived, reasonably served but nothing to write home about and in truth I cannot now remember what brand it was which must say something. In a departure from normal Continental procedure I was asked to pay when the beer arrived as opposed to the usual pay at the end system but, again in their defence, it was manically busy. The beer was definitely more expensive than usual but I suppose you are paying for the location and possibly the fact it was a holiday. I do hope it wasn't "loaded" because I was a foreigner as that would annoy me greatly.

I would recommend that the reader stops here for one drink just purely to soak in the amazing atmosphere and then moves to one of the numerous much better bars in the area. Obviously, the roundabout will not be there but it is still worth it for the beautiful surroundings and the building itself.
Restaurant Au Moulin a Vent.
Restaurant Au Moulin a Vent with f…
planxty says:
I hate the idea of it as well but unfortunately it happens.
Posted on: Dec 14, 2017
vicIII says:
I hate to think some pubs do serve "loaded" beer for foreigners...
Posted on: Dec 14, 2017