Atwood House Bed and Breakfast

Check Chillicothe Hotel Deals

Atwood House Bed and Breakfast Chillicothe Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Bed & Breakfast GEM in the heart of Ohio Jul 23, 2011
Being an adventurer and the kind of person who believes that life should contain as many experiences as possible, I usually view overnight accommodations as a place to plop my stuff, grab a shower, catch some sleep, and be off again. I have been extremely lucky to get the lead on some pretty outstanding places; but nothing, I imagine, will ever compare to finding the Atwood House in Chillicothe, Ohio. Don’t get me wrong, I like to spoil myself, but I will settle for clean sheets and a remotely quiet bed. I’ll admit I’m going to have a very hard time with standard (or even above-average) hotels again if there is a good bed and breakfast nearby. However, the next B&B I stay at has BIG shoes to fill.

The Atwood house is easy to find. I can tell you how to get there in a few easy steps. Off of Route 23, take Bridge Street toward Chillicothe. Turn right on Main. Turn Left on Paint. It’s #68. Park on the street with confidence.

Bill Hirsch is the owner / innkeeper. Making reservations was easy with a phone call or a request on the website. Current room rates are posted. There are 4 available rooms – 3 with in-room private baths and one with a private bath down the hall. The Atwood House can accommodate a wedding ceremony of 80 people. Other functions include a sit-down dinner for up to 50 people and a reception / Stand-up cocktail party for up to 150 people. There is a 20 person minimum for parties. All rooms are single or double occupancy. The home was built in the 1840’s and is beautifully restored Greek-revival. Mr. Hirsch is very knowledgeable about the history and architecture of the home and area and would be more than willing to share with you.

Chillicothe is no different than any other smaller community in the aspect of: there is PLENTY to do, it just may not fall in your lap. You need to make the effort to find it. Having said that, you won’t be bored in Chillicothe. The parks are beautiful with running/walking trails, fishing, nature walks, and leisure. Being Ohio’s first capital city, the history is rich. Small-town shopping downtown is unique and enough to make me want to go back. Nearby outdoor drama “Tecumseh” is not to be missed… and much more. If you don’t know where to start, Bill can help you find things of interest.

We arrived slightly after 4:00 and rang the bell. I was immediately impressed by the beauty of the house and surrounding gardens. Bill answered the door immediately and greeted us. After showing us our room / bathroom (we stayed in the Hunt Room which includes a private bath down the hall. It can be locked but won’t need to be) we set our things down to relax a bit. Mr. Hirsch had previously asked us if we had a place in mind to eat and recommended the Smokehouse a few blocks away. It was an easy walk downtown.

After dinner, we attended the outdoor drama “Tecumseh”. We returned to the home around 11:30 p.m. and headed for our room. The bed was soft and inviting. I LOVE FEATHERS and had plenty. My husband admitted the bed was nice, even though he is not as much of a “squishy bed” fan. If you like an overly firm bed, you may not have gotten a good nights’ sleep; but I sure did! It rates as one of my top 3 favorite beds ever.

The bathroom was roomy and in excellent working order. Breakfast the next morning at 9:00 was homemade and excellent. We had waffles, fruit and cream, sausage, coffee, tea, and juice. The other couple staying in the home was on a more extended stay and asked what they would like the next morning (which would be their last morning). I thought that was a nice, personal touch. Breakfast was served on fine china.

Things that stood out about my (too) short stay at the Atwood:

- It was amazingly clean. Everything from the bed to the bathroom to the décor was clean and fresh.

- It was friendly and inviting. The service was excellent; the (too) short stay was peaceful. I can easily see myself spending a few days at the Atwood in the winter, cozyed up in the parlor with my nook.

- The gardens were beautiful. As you can see in the pictures, obviously Bill has a knack for not only decorating and restoring a home, but gardening and landscaping.

- It was affordable. $80 for all of this? Best deal in Chillicothe. Period.

Overall, I can easily see why it was rated the best Bed and Breakfast in Ohio (Ohio Magazine, 2008). I wouldn’t hesitate to come back and recommend to others to check it out. Don’t wait until you’re “in the area”. Make it your destination.
In the gardens looking toward the …
Peaceful gardens