Attahöhle Attendorn

www.atta-hoehle.de - 02722 9375 ext. 0

Attahöhle Attendorn Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Atta Cave Apr 27, 2013
The Atta cave (or Atta Hohle in German) is a stalactite cave located in Attendorn, Sauerland. You Can not only see stalactites but also; limestone pillars and lime curtains. The cave also is a home to bats. We didn't see any though.

There are daily guided tours, downside, they are in German. My German is good enough to understand some but not all.

The cave is easily accessible. The total length of the Atta Hohle is 6670 metres. Around 1800 metres is open for public. The guided tour will show you about 500 metres and takes about 40 minutes. The temperature is constant, at 9 degrees (Celsius).

The Atta cave was discovered in 1907 by accident!

Quarrymen discovered the cave during blast works, as they were busy mining limestone. The cave has been open for public since then.

In 1986 another part of the cave was discovered. It was an unknown part of the Atta cae, a 5000 metres long labyrinth of more drip stone formations. Sad to say, this part is not accessible for public as it would be to dangerous.

Even though I only understand part of what our guide was telling is I would definitely recommend this! It's beautiful to see the stalactites and stalagmites.

Entrance €7.50, children (5-14) €4.50

The cave is open daily, take a look at the website for the right time!

side note; you are not allowed to take pictures inside of the cave... I didn't know, and as far as I know they didn't tell us that at the beginning of the tour... So we are lucky to have some "illigal" pictues, I had taken before I was told not to do so :-).
lauro says:
haha yes - coz i wanted to take pics of caves and i researched on this one and it is not allowed to take pics :((
Posted on: May 11, 2013
Suusj says:
It is!! But I didn't know... Hahaha. I didn't see a sign or anything and we were not told. Well untill they caught me ;-). So yes, I have some "illigal" pictues.
Posted on: May 10, 2013
lauro says:
what?! i thought it was forbidden to take pics in this cave?!
Posted on: May 09, 2013