Athénée Thalasso

www.atheneethalasso.com - +216 75 75 76 10

Athénée Thalasso Djerba Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Not value for money Jun 29, 2013
Athénée Thalasso is a 5* spa. At least that is what they claim. It is located in the Radisson Blu Resort & Thalasso Djerba . The spa is huge, located on three floors, and looks very elegant. The setting is contemporary with marble and exotic wood, all with an Oriental touch. They offer a wide range of treatments. Prices ranges from average to expensive. They offer both single treatments and a variety of packages.

I wanted to pamper myself and tried 4 different treatments. Starting with a pedicure, which was probably the worst I have ever had. The chair with the little footbath was great with a build in back massage, but the rest of the equipment made me want to cry. She had a nail file, a foot file and soap – that was it. She said that she wasn´t authorized to use equipment to remove tough skin. No one in the spa was. She finished with painting my toenails with 4 layers of nail polish. By the time I left the spa two of the nails were already messed up. It had been a waste of time and money.

My second treatment was a seaweed wrap. I layed down on a plastic covered heated blanket and mud was applied over my body, and then I was covered with an electrical blanket. It was nice and warm, but the stench of seaweed wasn´t very comfortable. After a while the woman came back again, unwrapped the blanket and told me to take a shower. The whole treatment was done in less than 30 minutes. The seaweed wrap is supposed to have an analgesic effect on articular pains, arthrosis and rheumatism and help to eliminate accumulated fat. Hmmm! The only effect I saw was that my skin was very dry the next morning.

My third attempt at the spa was a Hammam and Gommage treatment. You can´t go wrong with that or? The hammam was very nice, a tiled room with columns, aches and a narrow pool with cool water in the middle. After 10 minutes in the hammam I was taken to a gommage room. Laying on a tiled bench I was scrubbed with a mix of sand and soap. The experience was okay, but so far from the real hammams I have tried in Istandbul, Marakesh and Essouira.

As a final treatment I went for the Stone Massage. The room was nice and the bench comfortable, but not much else. First I was covered in what felt like a gallon of oil. Then the hot stones where placed on my back. The stones were then moved around my back and legs. And that was exactly what it was. The stones were only moved around and hit against each other, but it wasn´t much of a massage. It was the same procedure on my front side. Usually I feel very relaxed after a stone massage. After this treatment I didn´t feel anything. The stone massage I have done before have been done with volcanic stones. At the Athénée Thalasso they used black and white stones, which looked like they were made of onyx and plastic. For $100 this treatment was a waist of money.

The staff smiled and looked very sweet, but they spoke only French. A couple of them spoke a little German, but no one spoke English, which made communication quite difficult. Make sure to find out who is doing the treatment you choose before you book it. Some treatments are done by men only. Personally I wouldn´t like to sit in my birthday suit and being scrubbed all over by a man.

The spa looks very elegant and a lot of the guests at the Radisson used it, but I have had much better treatments other places. A massage I had by a blind man in a shack on the beach in the Philippines was much better. After having tried 4 different treatments, I didn´t find it value for money.
Entrance to the Athénée Thalasso
sarahsan says:
Pretty incredible, isn't it?
Posted on: Jul 05, 2013
jeminigirl says:
How can you possibly mess up something as simple as a pedicure??? Disappointing service to say the least, thanks for the warning =0)
Posted on: Jul 03, 2013