Ateshgah Fire Temple

Suraxani, Azerbaijan

Ateshgah Fire Temple Suraxani Reviews

mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
Ateshgah Fire Temple May 25, 2008
Our main goal for the day was to see the fire temple in Suraxani. There is a lot of uncertainty as far as its exact history. Some historians believe that the site was sacred to the Zoroastrians (some believe that Zoroastrianism was the first monothesist religions in the world) as early as the 6th or 7th Century BC. Others claim that there was a temple here from the 13th Century AD. On the other hand, the main center structure was developed in the 18th Century by Indian merchants.

The entry fee was 2 manats and 2 manats to take photos. The staff was very helpful even though I did not speak either Azeri or Russian, they still tried to talk to me. Eric, knowing Russian, was able to communicate very effectively with them.

The gas for the temple has to be piped in as the gas underneath has been extinguished. While we were there, the flames were not shooting through the corner roof flutes. I am sure that is an impressive sight, but still the center heath was burning. The surrounding cells around the temple are slowly being converted into a museum of sorts. This is the current push within the country to promote more international tourism as everyone is aware the oil will not last forever.

Overall, we had the place to ourselves until a group of British tourists came in. Still, the place is not highly frequented by tourists.

While I am far from being a religious person, I have always been fascinated by temples and other places of worship. While this is far from having the same impressive impact of let's say Egyptian temples, it is still fascinating considering its history and the overall impact that the Zoroastrians had on modern religions. Considering how small Azerbaijan is in both land mass and population, this is a little impressive place.
yheleen says:
great review ;) thank you,..
Posted on: Aug 13, 2008
Kenul says:
We went there in winter and still enjoyed it. But strangely, what I remember best is how I managed to break Phill's car window and how mad he was at me :P
Posted on: Jul 27, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Ateshgah Fire Temple

Atesgah Fire Temple, Merdekan, Suvelan and Nardaran
People I met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia)On Monday we decided to visit the Abseron Peninsula, located just a short distance to the North East of Baku. To get to Atesh…Ateshgah Fire Temple located at Suraxani we had to take two marshrutka's, which took around 30 minutes. Our student…
Suraxani Map