Astrid & Gaston

Astrid & Gaston  - Eating on the patio

Astrid & Gaston Quito Reviews

geerbox geerbox
Famous Peruvian restaurant in Quito Ecuador Mar 19, 2010
I recently found that Astrid & Gastón had a restaurant in Quito. The restaurant is famous in Peru; it’s named after the couple that started it. Gastón is the husband & chef and Astrid is the wife & dessert chef. They have locations in several different countries and I heard the Quito location opened around a year ago and has not yet gained the elite status that it has in Peru.

I contacted a local TB in Quito to see if she wanted to join me to this restaurant and to invite anyone else. It worked out that she could come and she would bring her sister too, great! The girls arrived to the restaurant before me, I should have been there much sooner but the taxi driver had a trouble finding the place. I finally arrived and met Natalia and her sister Irina. They were patient with me and didn’t order food, but they did have a pisco drink on the table already ;) The restaurant is nicely decorated and there is outdoor patio seating, which is where we chose to sit.

We looked at the menu briefly but the girls already had plenty of time to think about what to order so they were ready. I saw the ceviches were listed on the evening menu so that’s what I would have! I ordered the ceviche Miraflorino, which was a mixto of fish and seafood (calamari, octopus, shrimp) served in a rocoto and lime sauce. Rocoto is a pepper popular in Peru with great flavor and it can be a little spicy, thererfore I like it a lot. Natalia ordered a rice with seafood dish, but not sure of the name and Irina ordered a ceviche clasico, with the same seafood as mine but in only a lime juice sauce. I ordered a pisco sour too (of course!).

The food arrived quickly since the restaurant wasn’t very busy. Ahhh, Peruvian ceviche, I love it and this was a great one! Mine had a great flavor of limejuice with the spiciness of the rotoco pepper mixed with the super fresh seafood! It was delicious! I was eating away and forgot about the girls, hehe. Well, Irina wasn’t as satisfied with her ceviche, she prefers a little less lime and onions but the seafood was of great quality. Natalia was happy with her dish too. The main entrée was done, now time for dessert!

We all got our own dessert dishes. I had the chocolate truffles and Natalia got the chocolate fondue, but I can’t remember what Irina ordered. All of the desserts were delicious, somewhat of a chocolate overload for me, but really tasty. The girls were enjoyed their desserts as well.

Astrid & Gastón is not a cheap place, but in my opinion it’s worth it. The seafood is first class in quality and freshness. The dining area is nicely decorated as well as the outside patio. In Quito, the patio can be a little cold for nighttime dining, but they do have heaters to keep you warm if needed.

I recommend this restaurant for great Peruvian dining in Ecuador and I will return soon.
Eating on the patio