Astrid & Gaston

175 Cantuarias, Lima, Peru

Astrid & Gaston Lima Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
Poshy and delicious dinning at Astrid & Gaston Sep 06, 2009
Gaston is one of the best chefs in Peru, but definitely the most famous one. He's doing a great job promoting the Peruvian Cuisine and of course his restaurant is not an exception.

He has other restaurants, more in a cafe style, but this one was the first one - his baby - a grown one, since right now it has locations in other countries like Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Spain, Venezuela, Argentina and Mexico. Actually it has been chosen the best restaurant in Chile, 2 times in a row!

He and his wife (Astrid) run the place. He's in charge of the appetizers and entrees and she's in charge of the desserts.

It's located in busy Miraflores area, not even 1 block away from the park, but in a quiet street. So it's not loud at all. It's an old house that has been turned into a fine and nice restaurant. The decoration is very elegant. They have 3 main areas - the bar - which is cozy and a bit dark with colorful pictures; the main dining room which is classy and mostly about white color (personally I preferred when it was dark and more about brown, it made you feel more cozy) but very nice decorated; and the wine cellar area - this one is my favorite! all wooden!

Furniture is not only nice but very comfortable, although the chairs can be a bit heavy, but the super helpful waiters would assist you every single moment.

Now the food. Gaston's trademark is the use of Peruvian ingredients which might not be very well known in the cities but have been used by people in the country for centuries. Last dinner here was with 2 new friends and an old one. Great company and delicious food - Thank you!

Dinner has to start with a pisco cocktail - that's a must. You find the traditional pisco sour, but also other pisco cocktails. Last time I tried the "Ya que chicha!" which is pisco with our traditional chicha morada (a soft drink made of purple corn), other time I had the "momia Juanita" another pisco cocktail with local fruits. This bar is very well known too and their cocktails are great.

They also have a great and wide wine list. One of the best I have seen in Lima.

As many places they offer complimentary bread, but not a regular baguette, but a basket of sorted Peruvian breads made of corn, sweet potato and potato.

The menu is not very wide, so they can focus better on every single dish and develop them as good as possible. The menu changes every season, but there are some dishes (the traditional ones) that would stay.

I've had dinner here a couple of times and have never been disappointed by the food. Peruvian cuisine could be very spicy or have much condiments, but Gaston tries to make it not that way, so everyone can taste it an enjoy it!

Last time I had a cebiche here, but they mixed it with some rain forest seed and rain forest fruit - delicious!

John ordered tuna and it was perfect too. Medium cooked, fresh and tender. The sauce wasn't heavy, so you could feel the flavor of the fish.

I also came here with my boss once and he got a baby goat, so tender that you don't even need a knife to cut it. It was like butter!

Other dish I remember is the "Rocoto relleno" - stuffed bellpepper. It's a popular dish here, but definitely the best I tried so far was here. Just enough spicy, so you could enjoy the flavors of the meat inside.

Well, the desserts are another topic. All of them are so tempting. I always try to get something new here. And Astrid makes desserts using Peruvian fruits. She loves the chirimoya (custard apple) and so I do.

Staff is very polite and kind. Impeccable service!

This place is usually crowded, so making a reservation is highly recommended. Lima is a gastronomic city and this restaurant is a must in any gastronomic tour.

Yes, it's not a cheap place, but worth it. If you're not in a budget and want to pamper yourself just make a phone call and book your table :)
logo
outside - doesn't look pretentious…
main dining room
wine cellar room
kerisina kerisina
The perfect dinner Aug 06, 2009
August 6, 2009 - The perfect dinner

This restaurant worth every single cent....

Although this place has not more then 5 appetizers, or even 10 main dishes , is awesome!!

What does it make it speciall??? Astrid & Gaston are a cheff´s couple and they mix the traditional food in an international way.

You might find there ceviche, lomo saltado both common dishes from Peru and guinea pig meat, or even alpaca meat. At least alpaca you might not be able to find it in every restaurant. Just delicious... ok I didnt eat the hamster´s cousing but tried the alpaca.

Ohh and the deserts.... uhhhh la la !!!!!

Before I forget, if you wanna go there, you MUST do a reservation. That restaurant has less then 20 tables. If you get one, you could stay all the time you want. It will be your table until you decide leave the place !!!! There is a bar too, but the restaurant is THE BEST !!!!

It was my fist TB mini-meeting and couldnt be better...Thanks Stranger for the company. :)

Sept 4th, Yeah I came back to this awesome restaurant. This Time we were 4 new friends having a nice time.

I ordered Lomo saltado, and was delicious !!! and the same dessert of course. Once you find something .... ok there is no words to describe it, it is kind of hard to ask for something else.

Really love that dessert, so tasty, delicious... it just makes me fly !!!!!!!

This time we got some free desserts... some truffas and aguaymanto on caramel... ñami

Dec 2009

Yes I came back, what a gorgeus idea to finish the year. Nice food, Nice atmosphere, Very Nice Company. Yes it was more as a romantic dinner. We couldnt follow the plans, but the result couldnt be better.
Aguaymanto sour..... good start.. …
Grilled cow heart.... good too
Native potatoes with differents so…
Guinea pig....

Related Travel Blogs About Astrid & Gaston

The Peru Diaries: The Pro’s and Con’s of Group Travel, Part
The Peru Diaries: The Pro’s and Con’s of Group Travel, Part I My husband, Rick, and I have been traveling together for 30 years. We’ve developed our own style and at this stage in our lives…Lima: Astrid y Gaston: the guidebooks call it the best restaurant in Lima. I‘ve only been to three restaurants…

Check Lima Hotel Deals