200 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA, USA - (415) 581-3500

Asian Art Museum San Francisco Reviews

heilong heilong
Impressive Collection of Asian Art Feb 19, 2011
It's the rain that motivated me to seek refuge in a museum to spend my first afternoon in San Francisco, but it's their permanent collection that kept me there well beyond my original intent, until they kicked me out at closing time in fact :-)

The museum is not too cheap but it includes a free audio tour that truly helps understand the significance of the collections. The permanent collection spans two floors and represents almost all regions of Asia, from Persia to Japan, including India, Southeast Asia, China & Korea. I was particularly impressed with their selection of Chinese jade treasures as well as Korean pottery of both Goryeo and Joseon dynasties. I also found out by Japanese netsukes, never seen these before, even in Japan.

In conclusion, I highly recommend the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco. Plan at least two hours.
Asian Art Museum
Asian Art Museum - Elephant Throne…
The Hindu Deities Shiva & Parvati …
Asian Art Museum - Crowned Buddha …
timhardin timhardin
Good Asian Museum May 24, 2010
Great location at Civic Center with a large bronze sculpture near by I had high expectations. Especially considering I was in SF. At the moment they had a special exhibition, Shanghai.

Since I've been to a lot of similar museums this one was pretty much the same. Not a bad collection.

If you have the time or feel curious. Not a must.
sylviandavid says:
Thanks for this review....
WalterC WalterC
Extensive collection of Asian art Sep 26, 2009
The Asian Art Museum has one of the biggest collection of art from Asia, and focuses mainly art history from that part of the world.

The admission price includes an audioguide, and takes you through the history of Asia. Starting with India, it supposedly goes in chronological and geographical order, but I’m not exactly sure.

Being Asian myself, I had to check this place out, and see the Korean exhibit, which did not have much, compared to other countries. But it was worth checking out, and does give me the feeling of hoping to visit that part of the world someday.

The museum has a very extensive collection, so seeing everything within 1 visit, would be impossible and definitely not recommended. I would say 2 to 3 hours would do it, before everything starts looking the same (if not earlier).

My suggestion is to pick a few sections and focus on those. If you still have the stamina, definitely check out more.

A must for anyone interested in Asian art, and worth checking out for everyone else.
banners for regions of Asia
williamsworld says:
I love Asian Art. Cheers
Posted on: Feb 26, 2011
WalterC says:
For me, I usually focus on a few sections, and tour those areas. And if any stamina left, I may see more.
Eric Eric
Jun 25, 2006
Went here to go see the Three Gorges Project paintings by Liu Xiaodong, a set of contemporary paintings illustrating the social and political impact of the building of the Three Gorges Dam. The exhibit (which runs until July 16th) was pretty interesting, and paintings were impressive, especially the emotions and expressions of the faces. If you are going to be in San Francisco before July 16th, definitely go check it out.
Eric says:
Hi Sylvia -- I've heard figures in the several millions, but am not sure which one is right. I'm guessing any "official" numbers would be on the low side.
sylviandavid says:
Thanks for this review.. I saw a video by Global Trekker and it said 1.3 million were displaced in one city alone .... but in China they said it was 1.3 million total.... which is right?... such a huge project....

It must have been interesting to see the exhibit and see Xiaodong's views. Sylvia
Daniel says:
I'll pass this on to a friend :D
Posted on: Jun 26, 2006

Related Travel Blogs About Asian Art Museum

Asian Art Museum
I took aproximatly a 3 hour visit to the seven general divisions of the museum´s collection: South Asia, the Persian World and West Asia, Southeast Asia, the Himalayas and the Tibetan Budd… I took aproximatly a 3 hour visit to the seven general divisions of the museum´s collection: South…

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals