Asakusa Smile

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals

Asakusa Smile Tokyo Reviews

AlexandraQuinton Alexandr…
Jul 20, 2009
Not to be confused with the Khaosan Smile, which is also located on the same street, and is the hostel with the good repuation.

The Asakusa Smile is located in the heart of Asakusa around 5 minutes walk from the nearest subway station. There are two buildings - one which houses the reception, and one just around the corner which is much nicer in my opinion.

The reception area also doubles up as the hostel bar, and since smoking is allowed inside, the first impression when you enter to check in is 'old man's pub' or 'working men's club' (for those who have never been into a place like this, it smells like stale beer and cigarette butts).

The staff seem inexperienced at best but they try hard. Our room in their annex building was Japanese style and fairly spacious. The tatami mats could have been cleaned before we arrived, but it was not too bad.

The lounge area was large and comfortable but no-one seemed to use it, making it empty and boring feeling. We saw a massive cockroach in the lounge, climbing intp an empty coke can that hadn't been thrown away. That was pretty disgusting.

The kitchen was direly under-equipped. Two plates, a saucepan, a fork and a spoon; not even any chopsticks!

The shower room was functional - although there was a technique to getting the hot water to come out! The shower also leaked through the glass doors so the floor was constantly wet. The toilet room needed cleaning thoroughly and smelled a little.

To be honest, the best thing about this place was that we had a private room for the same cost as we had been paying for two dorm rooms. I think this hostel gets a lot of its business from customers who think they are booking into the Khaosan Smile, which is only 5 minutes walk away on the same street.

It's a shame, but as Tokyo is such an awesome place, we hardly spent any time in the room anyway!
dothoin says:
hoping to visit japan in the summer your blogs are very helpful and informative
Posted on: Jan 04, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Asakusa Smile

Smile Asakusa Smile
The last morning in Yokota, my childhood home for four years, I worked out at the base gym with Brett.  After the workout he had concocted, he dropped me off just outside the gate at Fussa…Asakusa Smile late in the afternoon and laid down on my bed for a few minutes...oops few minutes turned into hours.  It is getting late and i need…
2010 04 28 - Tokyo day 6
My last full day in Tokyo would be an interesting one. I had started to feel comfortable in the Asakusa Smile hostel and also biking around Tokyo. I hadn't stayed in the same place for such a long ti…Tokyo would be an interesting one. I had started to feel comfortable in the Asakusa Smile hostel and also biking…
2010 04 22 - Mount Fuji day 3
A few hours after setting up my tent something that I hadn't taken into account happened. It started to rain HARD. The cold and snow hadn't bothered me and the hiking and lack of food weren't a probl…Tokyo. A quick search on HostelWorld.com showed the Asakusa Smile as a cheap and centrally located hostel so I made…

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals