Arriving in Beijing

Beijing, China

Arriving in Beijing Reviews

vivien_huang vivien_h…
Learn to speak a little Chinese Jul 09, 2010
The first time I arrived in Beijing, the main problem is communication. Because, they (beijing peoples) do not speak English at all..

First of all, when ordering food, I also experienced difficulties, all written in mandarin. So, my advice is choose a restaurant that provides a menu with pictures.

Then for Beijing public transport it is true that you must have a destination address written in Chinese language, because taxi drivers do not speak english.

My advice, if you go to china please bring a friend who could speak little Chinese or at least look for China tour guides, so you can more easily explore Beijing city.

Have a nice trip in Beijing!
Girl_from_Germany Girl_fro…
Jun 05, 2007
These tips should help you to survive after you have arrived at Beijing International Airport:

If you wanna take a taxi into town, always queue at the taxi lane. Those are the only official taxis. If someone else offers you a ride, be careful, he may rips you off and charges a lot. Always tell the taxi driver to turn on the meter. A ride into the city center is around 60 - 80 RMB + toll fee.

Also be aware that most of the taxi drivers don't speak any English. Try to get a print out of your destination in Chinese characters and show it to the driver. I can tell you, that will help a lot :S

You only can exchange money in China! The Chinese currency RMB (yuan) is not available out of China. 1€ = 10 RMB. You'll find Currency Exchange counters right at the airport. You can also exchange money at the Bank of China as well as in bigger hotels. Be careful, if you are going to go to a bank, you may find Chinese people in front of the bank who are offering to exchange money for a better rate. Don't trust them, you never know if the money will be fake or an old, invalid currency!

Ok, that's it. Now you should be well prepared for your own journey into the land of the rising sun :) Please fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the trip!
HuBison says:
Whoa-really helpful info!
Posted on: Jul 01, 2010
Chokk says:
You are right about the taxis - but I must say that they were wonderful, cheap and funny. I had no problems at all - but as you say take the chinese wording with or a picture.
Posted on: Nov 21, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Arriving in Beijing

Arrival at Beijing Airport
Upon arrival at Beijing Airport, we met our tour guide, Wendy.  Due to the late arrival and problems with consolidating everybody, we did not have time to go to the Temple of Heaven.&n…arrival at Beijing Airport, we met our tour guide, Wendy.  Due to the late arrival and problems…
Arrive in Beijing
My first flight in the morning was so early, I totally knocked out for the entire hour flight to San Francisco.  Arrived at San Francisco around 7:00AM and walked to the gate where my connecting…Arrived at San Francisco around 7:00AM and walked to the gate where my connecting flight to Beijing was located…
Beijing, China
We arrived in Beijing at around 7:30am and pushed our way through the crowds at the station. We had arrived at Beijing Xi (west) station, which is the largest in China, so there were hundreds of pe…arrived in Beijing at around 7:30am and pushed our way through the crowds at the station. We had arrived

Check Beijing Hotel Deals