Arnott's Lodge & Hiking Adventures

98 Apapane Road, Hilo, HI, USA
www.arnottslodge.com - (808) 339-0921
Arnott's Lodge & Hiking Adventures - Common area to read, eat or just chill
Arnott's Lodge & Hiking Adventures - Well stocked kitchen
Arnott's Lodge & Hiking Adventures - Clean restrooms with tons of 'green' technology
Arnott's Lodge & Hiking Adventures - The open beds were really open!
Arnott's Lodge & Hiking Adventures - The lockable shared room

Check Hilo Hotel Deals

Arnott's Lodge & Hiking Adventures Hilo Reviews

anupa_rk anupa_rk
Affordable lodge with a bunch of tours Apr 24, 2013
Arnott's lodge had a mixed bag of reviews online. So I was a little wary of booking this place for my stay in Hilo.

What really tilted the scales for me were the tours that they offer from the lodge. I was interested in the Mauna Kea one in particular. All other tour agencies were offering the very same trip for twice the price. And I knew from my previous experience of tours that there is very little difference between organisers.

The lodge is located a mere ten minutes drive away from the airport. The location is actually very pretty. A narrow residential road takes you to a greenery filled location. There is plenty of parking space and a pretty beach just blocks away.

The lodge offers a camping ground, an open bed area and lockable shared and private rooms. I had initially booked an open dorm bed (not quite realizing what "open" meant). But then I saw that the lockable shared rooms were just a few dollars more a night, so I changed my option. (Good decision!)

The open dorm beds are exactly that - open! They are indoors, but the door to the open area is forever open. Anyone from the streets can walk in and pick up anything that is lying around!

The locked rooms are only slightly better in that you and your things are safe once you are inside, but the restroom is in the common open area. So a trip to the restroom in the middle of the night can be a little unnerving.

I was later informed that the door to the whole housing area is supposed to be locked at 10 p.m, but I never saw that happen. The neighborhood seemed fairly safe, so I wasn't too worried. But, it is something to keep in mind.

That said, the place was very clean and tidy. The kitchen was well stocked and there was soda and some more stuff for all to share in.

The staff was friendly for the most part. My only gripe with them was that on the day I was to check out, I was a half hour late in returning to the hostel and they charged me $10 for the late check out.

The tour was very well organised and the staff was also very helpful with recommendations and guidance.

There was wifi in the rooms and in the common area, and plenty of guide books to read while lounging around.

All in all, a good place to stay. But I would not recommend the open dorm beds.
The lockable shared room
The open beds were really open!
Clean restrooms with tons of "gree…
Well stocked kitchen
sylviandavid says:
Congratulations!
vulindlela says:
Congrats!
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature, Anupa!
Have a great weekend ahead!

Check Hilo Hotel Deals