60 Kloof street, Cape Town, South Africa - 021 424 4344
Arnold's - Arnold's
Arnold's - restaurant interior
Arnold's - warthog ribs for breakfast!
Arnold's - the house wine is none too shabby!

Arnold's Cape Town Reviews

rsummo rsummo
A Solid Dining Spot Jul 26, 2010
Arnold's was very close to our hostel (Ashanti Lodge) and there was a menu for the place posted up in the lobby, so we walked over and checked it out. They had some great breakfast deals, and the lunch and dinner menu looked pretty good as well. The place was very popular. I must have walked by the place a hundred times over the weeks I was in Cape Town, and it was always lively. I didn’t have to queue for a table, but there was a decent crowd gathered for the breakfast meal.

The food was all around good. . I got a standard set breakfast with eggs, bacon, toast, etc (on the menu as ‘Mike’s Breakfast’) and it ran about R22 (just over $3). I think it’s pretty difficult to make a standard breakfast that is ridiculously good; it’s a pretty basic set of food. So while there was nothing that I can write about as blowing my mind, I will say that compared to other set breakfasts I had around town, Arnold’s was certainly one of the better ones, and the price was on the lower end of average. If I was more disciplined and not so determined to sleep in, I could have made it over to the restaurant between 6:45 and 7am and took advantage of their early bird special, which gets you the Mike’s Breakfast for half price!

The service was solid and quick. It seemed like most of the patrons there were residents of the surrounding neighborhood. Many people had that "regular" look about them. There was outside seating for the nice pleasant mornings and a tented area by the front if you wanted to people watch but didn't feel like being outside. The outside area gets some good morning sun, so it’s a cozy place to eat during the barely-cold winter mornings in Cape Town.

The lunch and dinner menu features a good selection of game meats, and I wish I had tried the warthog ribs. There is a breakfast plate that comes with warthog ribs, but I think that on the day I went I was trying to spend as little as possible, so I stuck with the cheap option. I’m not sure why we didn’t make it back for a dinner meal – I think we just got lost in the shuffle of the hundreds of places to choose from in the area – but based on the breakfast it would have been worth checking out. They have a good selection of under $10 bottles of wine. They also have a cheap ostrich burger, which was one of my go-to foods in South Africa. There is a berry Camembert desert that I also would have loved to try.

Given the crowds, it is probably a good idea to book a table if you are interested in dinner during busy tourist season or on a Friday or Saturday night. Cape Town was generally quiet during our visit, but you wouldn’t have known that from the business Arnold’s was doing.

If you are staying on Long Street or at a place closer to Table Mountain such as the Ashanti Lodge, it is certainly worth the short walk over to Arnold’s. It isn’t a budget meal, but it is above average food for average food prices. And please, if someone tries the warthog ribs or the berry Camembert desert, let me know how it is.
Biedjee Biedjee
Wonderful treasure of a restaurant Oct 06, 2009
Arnold's is a restaurant which we found by accident, and ended up eating at three times during our two days in Cape Town!

Run by Arnold Bettendorf, who, in an interesting twist, is not the head chef but maître d' instead. The staff are attentive and incredibly friendly, and Arnold himself always makes sure to check every table to see if his guests are enjoying themselves. This is one of those rare places where you feel genuinely welcome.

The place is conveniently located in Kloof St, Gardens, close to central Cape Town. Arnold's serves an interesting blend of pub food and African cuisine, with dishes ranging from lamb stew to crocodile ribs and gemsbok steak.

They also serve a wide range of innovative breakfasts, which are filling enough to live off a full day. Speaking of living a full day, Arnold's is one of those restaurants where you could actually spend a full day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, killer coffees, cold beers, cosmopolitan cocktails - all are served here!
warthog ribs for breakfast!
the house wine is none too shabby!
restaurant interior
Ape says:
Posted on: Dec 08, 2009
sylviandavid says:
I would love to eat there.... I have had alligator but not crocodile... and gemsbok!... I need to try that.. (I looked it up to see what the heck it is) thanks for sharing this and the pictures.. sylvia
Posted on: Nov 29, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Arnold's

Day 22: a day of decadence in Cape Town
We woke up late. It was weird to be sleeping in a bed again. With proper sheets, rather than a dirty sleeping bag, and with a bathroom at less than three metres away. We didn't have too much trouble …town centre, looking to score some breakfast. It was by chance that we found restaurant Arnold's, which over the course of our two-day stay in Cape
Cycling to the Cape
Table Mountain National park comprises of more than just Table Mountain. About 85% of the whole cape is part of the national park. The southern end of the park, Cape Point, is Cape Town's second most…Arnold's had quite quickly become our favourite hangout in Cape Town, so it seemed fitting to have the last…

Check Cape Town Hotel Deals