Army Museum

Korte Geer 1, Delft, Netherlands - +31 15 2150500

Army Museum Delft Reviews

Sweetski Sweetski
Bring on the army! May 23, 2008

In the lovely old and characteristic town of Delft, you’ll find the army museum (Het Legermuseum). Situated in a former weapon depot (The Armamentarium) built in 1601, the museum has a large collection (more than 500,000 objects) of weapons, uniforms, personal belongings, documents, paintings, prints, photos and vehicles, including motorcycles, tanks, armoured cars and even rockets.

The Museum calls itself the centre of knowledge and information on Dutch army history. Beside above-mentioned collection, it has a library, which is the largest military-historical library in the Netherlands (open to everyone on appointment). There’s also a coffee corner and a museum shop. For details on entrance fee and such, I refer to their website, which is available in English.

The regular display of the collection is frequently supplemented with temporary exhibitions. In my opinion, the best quality of this museum is that they do not try to glorify the army or war, but that they objectively display the history of our army right up to present day and that they don’t turn a blind eye for the moral and ethical side of combat. An especially nice ‘feature’ is their Chamber of Dilemmas. Here you are confronted with the difficult choices military personnel have to make on a daily bases, e.g. ‘should I help this poor wounded chap who otherwise will fall in the hands of the enemy and die, but with the risk of jeopardising the safety of my unit or should I choose for my unit’s and my own safety?’ Pretty good question!

Although the building itself is worth a visit, and the collection of artifacts ranges from lances to lasers, for me the most interesting pieces are the personal stuff, the letters, the photos, anything that tells the grim story of conflict. But as a pacifist, perhaps I am biased.

All in all?

Even if you are a pacifist and a strong believer in diplomacy like me, you’ll still find this museum worth your while. The historic building is beautiful, the collection extensive, and there are activities for children. If nothing else, the museum will teach you, or renew your conviction that we should all make love and not war :)
Old canons
They were so shiny, they looked li…
Admiring himself
Craftsmanship. They don't make the…
homeres says:
I went here with a TB (Nathalie) and we sort of stumbled upon it and because the place only was going to close in 15 mnutes, they let both of us in for free!! It was a whirlwind tour of the place!
Posted on: Aug 11, 2010
Sweetski says:
About 10 minutes walking distance :)
Posted on: Oct 01, 2008
homeres says:
How far is this from the centraal station in delft?
Posted on: Sep 30, 2008
siddharthseth siddhart…
Oct 19, 2007
The museum is locally called as Armamentarium. I had my eyes set on this museum for a long time, but would always end up cycling by it rather than going in there. Finally I got a chance to get in and see what it is all about.

The museum, as the name suggests, has a decent collection of armaments of "dutch army" from the roman era till the post WWII era. Different floors of the building have artifacts from various eras. The museum has a splendid guns collection. Some of these guns are pretty funky looking like the one used for hunting ducks (see the picture). The meaning of stealth cannot be more lost. Rooms after rooms are filled with firearms from the medieval period. The lower floors take us closer to the present time, with firearms used in WWI and WWII. There are some World war era armored vehicles and tanks.

The entry to the museum is free for students. The only flip point is that flash photography is 'strictly prohibited' inside the museum. Definitely worth visiting.
The guns used for hunting ducks.

Check Delft Hotel Deals