Armenian Church

  based on 1 review   write a review

Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine

Armenian Church Ivano-Frankivsk Reviews

vicIII vicIII
345 reviews
Virgin Mary’s Protecting Veil Cathedral Mar 14, 2018
Virgin Mary’s Protecting Veil Cathedral is the full name of this church. It used to be the Armenian Church. The Armenian community used to own the entire city quarter and had a great influence on the city life. The temple got its own miraculous icon. On August 22, 1742, the image of the Mother of God cried with real tears. After that the icon became famous for many miracles. A lot of people were healed near it. In honor of the miraculous image, the Armenians erected a brick church in the style of European Baroque. The church was built in 1743-1763.

The former Armenian Church housed the workshops of local artists from 1949 until 1971, and then, from 1971 until 1991 - the Religion and Atheism Museum.

Since 1992, the building of the former Armenian Church has belonged to the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church. This church is often called the Armenian Church today, or simply “the blue church”. After the Second World War, the Armenians left for Poland, taking the miraculous image of the Virgin, which is now in St.Peter and St.Paul’s Cathedral in the city of Gdansk. A replica of that miraculous icon is kept in the church.

The church has bell-like domes that distinguish it among other old churches. They were installed after the fire of 1868 to replace the old helmet-like domes that were destroyed completely by the fire.

We went inside to admire the interior and to take some pictures. The All-Seeing Eye with golden rays above the entrance looks impressive. The inscription under the image reads, “Who is like God”.

Here are some more pictures of the church:
The Armenian Church, or simply “…
The Armenian Church entrance plaque
The Armenian Church
The Armenian Church
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Check Ivano-Frankivsk Hotel Deals

Ivano-Frankivsk Map
1 review
1 review
photo by: wiener_bua