Armenia travel budget

Armenia

Armenia travel budget Reviews

AsiaBill AsiaBill
Another Beautiful Day in Armenia! Jul 19, 2011
I booked Kathmandu to Yerevan on-line with Fly Dubai and paid only U$226 one way, was issued a 21 day visa upon arrival for only 3000AMD ( U$8 ). While planning my trip here I calculated only staying 12 days, only 3 or 4 days in Yerevan. I walked straight out of the airport to the other side of the small parking lot ignoring the group of taxi drivers,got on Bus 107 paid only 200AMD ( U$.50+ cents ) for the 12km ride into the town center. I was let off near the Barekmutyun Metro station only 3 minutes away from family of 3 ( + grandmother ) operated Hostel Glide. Actually I'd chosen 3 hostel and homestays without deciding but when I say the street sign KOMITAS I knew I was near Hostel Glide accepting it as my choice. When I arrived each of the 3 family members were friendly in a very natural hospitable way and as conversations developed from one to the next it was obvious they were very educated and knowledgeable people equally interested in meeting new people. Their English skills were far better than I expected and learned that they also speak Russian and French fluently. Armen is Armenia's #1 ParaGlider and he loves his hobby thus the named their hostel "Glide".

Their private rooms were larger than I expected, very clean and after being there a few days found out the neighborhood was very quiet as well. I'd checked out a dozen other budget accommodation options in Yerevan and found most did not offer private rooms and the price per bed was 5000AMD to 7500AMD (U$13 to U$20 ) / bedspace which I thought was a bit high so Hostel Glide's private rooms at only 8000AMD( clean share bathroom) and 9000AMD ( pleasant private bathroom)were good value for money so chose the room with private bath. 24 hour Wi-Fi ( higher than average speed most of the time ), breakfast and tea and coffee offered throughout the day are included in that price. The Metro is only 100AMD ( U$.28 cents ) is easy to use, not confusing as mostly one line. While walking up Komitas I listed all the buses and Marshrutkas ( mini-buses ) which totaled about 20 different #s . Fruit and vegetable shops as well as convenience shops are 2 minutes away, beer is 60 cents for example the fruit is among the best I've every tasted, so sweet and juicy. Day trips to several location within an hour or less of Yerevan cost 250AMD to 400 AMD ( U$.60 cents to U$1+ )each way.

But the real treasure here is each person in the family willing to share their extended knowledge of Armenian culture, history, cooking, popular tourist destinations and their own personal backgrounds and hobbies. Tonight is my 8th night and I'll probably head for Tatev Monastery in southern Armenia and Nogorno-Karabakh in the next couple of days. Each of the 8 days being another beautiful day in Armenia.
Biedjee Biedjee
Armenia travel budget Jan 06, 2011
Country: Armenia

Period visited: 2010 - 4 nights

Visa cost: 12 Euro / 21 days (visa on arrival)

Budget per day: 60 Euro

Actual per day: 53 Euro

Why so cheap?

I travelled around the country on day-trips from Yerevan, which proved surprisingly good value. Travelling around by marshrutka and staying in cities around the country would have been more expensive. Food and alcohol were surprisingly good value in Yerevan.

Can it be cheaper?

Only if you cut down on the daytrips, but what is the point of visiting a country if you don't travel around?

Average costs:

Food & Drinks:

Beer: €1 or less

Espresso: €1.50 (Segafredo Yerevan)

Meal: under €5 (Opera square, Yerevan)

Accommodation: